Gear lever centering

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Gear lever centering

Post by bvs »

Hi - one last question arising out of driving the polo a wee bit recently.
The gear lever is a bit slow springing from 2nd to 3rd,or slow springing left to centre whilst in neutral,right to centre is ok.
I have seen it has a spring under the gaiter,do these springs get 'tired' or is it likely to be something else.
Selecting gears is perfect and the lack of springing does not bother me particularly as I grew up with cars without any spring - but the GF struggles a bit from 2nd to 3rd a little because she has only passed her test recently.

cheers baz
Me9141
Getting There!

Re: Gear lever centering

Post by Me9141 »

Had exactly the same problem recently on my 9n.

Its due to lack of grease on part of the gear linkage.

Picture attached shows the pin which slots into two bushes, this is located on top of the gearbox in the engine bay, this controls the left and right movement of the gear stick as the shaft goes up and down in the gearbox. Picture is of a generic VW gear linkage, yours may not look identical but will have the same elements.

There is a slide on fixing/washer at the end of the pole, this can be removed using a flat screw driver. Then with some gentle force push out the arm and the pin from the bushes. Apply grease and put back together, the same fixing/washer can be used as long you don't damage them. The white bushes where the pin slots into were OK on mine, check to see they are not broken on yours.

Mine being the 1.4 tdi, I had to remove the battery and battery box due to space restrictions. The job is simple for the diy enthusiast and can take 20 minutes providing you have all the tools ready before hand.

bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Thanks Me
I will have a look at it next time we get some nice weather : )

rgds baz
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Finally got round to looking at this a couple of weeks ago.
As Me9141 said - I removed the battery tray and removed the spring clip from the pivot pin,I could not remove the pin completely without a big strip down (I think the pin is attached to the lever on our Polo) but I cleaned up the pin as much as possible and gave it a good lubing.
The gear lever now is centering normally - thanks Me9141 : )
EDDIE F
New
Drives: POLO 1.2 2008

Post by EDDIE F »

I bought a 2008 Polo 1.2 when i got it home i could hardly move the gearshift left and right. It was graunching. Thought i had bought a car with duff gearbox. I put a load of penetrating oil on the parts you specified and it went from un driveable, to silky smooth and centering fine, in half an hour. I only knew how to sort this because of the info provided here by Me9141.
Me9141 you are an absolute hero|
Ed