Headlamp beam image incorrect (bulb holder)

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Headlamp beam image incorrect (bulb holder)

Post by littlepolo »

I had an MOT fail reported as headlamp beam image incorrect. I had replaced both bulbs (over past few months) with new in a hurry and one of the retaining screws came adrift in each case. Probably clumsiness on my part as I was in a hurry. Any idea what screws/threads these are and If its possible for me to replace them before the retest? If I leave it to the testing garage would they be able to do that or try to bill me for replacement bulb holders, etc.?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Headlamp beam image incorrect (bulb holder)

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry I can't help you there, but just to clarify things, are you sure that that statement does not concern the locating of the bulb into the bulb holder? There are no screws as far as I can remember just rotating captive sleeves. Are you not meaning the headlamp assembly retaining screws, which would mean that you removed the headlamp assembly to replace the bulbs?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I will check the bulb fitting. I did not remove the assembly, just the rubber cover. I think it was the screw-in/turn-in bulb holder that I loosened with a screwdriver/Torx and then something came loose.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Still sounds a bit "ouch" if you have taken screws out and lost them, I don't think that there is normally any way back from that - unless some one knows more? I do know that it is too easy to fit these bulbs in wrongly, I tended to look in through the glass and try to identify where the tang or polarising part or flat is, then fit the new bulb in the same way - no good for you now though! Oh dear! The bulbs should look central and be pointing straight forward when viewed from the front of the "glass".
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I think it is one of the screws in the photo at this link that is missing

http://www.techtips.ie/Hella-Ireland/vw ... cement.pdf
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good find that guide, but still the future looks a bit bleak if you have taken one of these screws out of each light and lost them. Unfortunately this is what happens when you have not thought things through, a general statement about replacing headlight bulbs is that you should never need to remove small screws and things like that - bulbs should be able to be replaced without using any tools - as is the case in the 1.4 petrol engined Polo.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Yes, but I found it too late. The bulb swap was all done in a hurry. I'll try to find some screws that will hold the assembly in place. I'm guessing they would be metric and a small diameter.

If the screw had fallen in to the opening, it could still be there. Is it easy to detach the headlight to try and retrieve it?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Of course they will be metric, you would to be careful about the length in case you caused further problems if too long. Also I'd guess that they would not have managed to find their way into the headlamp assemblies. If you look hard enough into the headlamps you should be able to see if they are in there.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

And to close off this thread, the final fix was ---???
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Used a flexible rod with a magnet to retrieve the screws from the surrounding assembly/casing and refitted the bulbs/bulb holder.