Remove hatchback boot handle on polo 1.2e, 2004

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
gazzer22
New
Drives: Polo 1.2e, 2004

Remove hatchback boot handle on polo 1.2e, 2004

Post by gazzer22 »

Hi Gents, Please could someone tell me how to remove the inner plastic trim on the hatchback / boot lid and how to remove the boot handle so that I can paint the handle, On a 2004 polo 1.2e, Many Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Remove hatchback boot handle on polo 1.2e, 2004

Post by RUM4MO »

Ah, the "tatty" hatch handle problem, why not buy another handle, repaint it so that when you take the trim off it will be a straight swop, make sure that you get exactly the correct handle as there are a few versions, including non-central locking or central locking!

From memory, I think that you remove maybe 2 screws from the grab handle areas? Then you need to use some small and large plastic trim removal tools, and then use a lot of gradual force, expect sore/cut hands, the plan is to avoid cracking the trim or breaking off any of the mounting posts, some of the spring clips will get left in the hatch frame, remove them and refit to trim before refitting it, plus do it soon while the weather is warm as that will make it a bit more pliable. Good Luck!

Edit:- once you get the trim off, you will see how the handle/lock etc is mounted, ie by a few screws.