Engine Burning Oil!!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
traveller23
New
Drives: 9n 2003

Engine Burning Oil!!

Post by traveller23 »

Hi Everyone

Need some advice if possible, my car is burning oil its a 2003 1.2 petrol with 120000miles. I dont know which is better to get done, buy a engine of ebay and replace or strip engine and repair. I wont be doing it, need a mechanic to do it. I have asked a few and they keep saying get one of ebay etc and they will fit it. The mechanics i have spoken to all want to fit a engine. My thoughts are after buying the engine and getting it fitted what are chances that its burning oil also. I assume stripping the engine and repairing it will be better in the long term or am I wrong. Obviously this depends on the cost involved.
I have had a lot work done to the car and want to pass it to my son whos just passed as he will need a car anyway.

Thanks indvance.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Engine Burning Oil!!

Post by alexperkins »

Depends why it's burning oil. If it's just the stem seals then it's minimal work to sort it out compared to a new engine
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm guessing, only guessing, that these mechanics have seen just too many of these high mileage 1.2 engines with heavily worn valve guides and these, I don't think, can be replaced as they are just bored holes in the cylinder head. Though, one of these versions (6 or 12 valves) of engines is better than the other in this respect - or so I've read.

I can fully understand your concern about any compatible engines available for sale would be near enough in the same condition - have you tried talking directly to a proper certified engine conditioner about the possibility and cost of refurbishing that engine? I think proper engine conditioners are members of FER .
traveller23
New

Post by traveller23 »

I have been told by one mechanic that the compression is good and that it is more then likley the stem seals, but then again he said if you open up the that far you might as well do the piston rings a bit confusing. I thought there was alot more work in getting to the piston rings, but then again my knowledge doesnt run that far!!

The car is a 12valve.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It is alot more work to do the piston rings, as you have to take the lower block apart. Steam seals is a head job compared!
traveller23
New

Post by traveller23 »

Trying to find someone who actually knows how to fix or diagnose which problem I have is getting to be tricky.

I dont know if there is any mechanics on here in the Bedfordshire area who can assist.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm not local to you, but without appearing as being a grumpy old b******d, it is easy to give general advice via a keyboard, it will only be when that engine is actually worked on by a mechanic that you will have a clear idea of where things are going, good luck, it may well still be a simple fix if the compressions are all okay.

In that respect, maybe some/all the mechanics that you have talked to are just playing safe when it comes down to costs etc, if it turns out to be a cheap repair then I'd expect that any/all mechanics would be carrying out the same work and so roughly the same cost - as long as you don't hand it in to a complete bandit.

You say Luton, there is probably still a couple or so in round about MK who are genuine VW Group Indies, one is called "unit 18" .

Edit:- http://www.unit18.co.uk/ is only roughly 20 miles away from you?
traveller23
New

Post by traveller23 »

I will try unit 18.

Thank you