Replacing Head Unit

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
BatchTheBrit
New
Drives: 2002 Polo S 9n

Replacing Head Unit

Post by BatchTheBrit »

Hi guys I'm planning on replacing my stock head unit (tape deck, has a cubby hole in the second DIN slot) as it's causing my speakers to pop on one side (aftermarket new ones, I checked to see if they're working, they are). I know how to remove it, but if I'm replacing it with an aftermarket unit, I have a few questions:

1. Can I use the original cubby below the radio, or do I need a new aftermarket facia?
2. How does the cabling work? Do I need an adapter harness like with other cars, or can it plug straight in?
3. Are there any brands of head unit that are easier to place in this car specifically?

Thanks for any help you guys can give meImage
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Replacing Head Unit

Post by alexperkins »

You can use any standard single din head unit and keep the shelf or use a double din head unit

The 9n you have has the older style ISO connectors which all aftermarket radios have. You will however need a little adapter to change the aerial connector from an ISO to a banana plug.

Head unit wise I would always steer towards a pioneer. But Sony, alpine etc are also good choices
BatchTheBrit
New
Drives: 2002 Polo S 9n

Post by BatchTheBrit »

alexperkins wrote:You can use any standard single din head unit and keep the shelf or use a double din head unit

The 9n you have has the older style ISO connectors which all aftermarket radios have. You will however need a little adapter to change the aerial connector from an ISO to a banana plug.

Head unit wise I would always steer towards a pioneer. But Sony, alpine etc are also good choices
That's exactly what I needed Alex, cheers!
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

I agree with Alex - we have 2 radios (had them for years) that go from car to car.
One is a pioneer (with adjustable colour led illumination to match car dash lights) - that is now in our fabia.
The polo 9n now has a Sony Explode,very handy to keep the little cubby :)