My Polo randomly stopped starting

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
owiewio
New
Drives: VW Polo 9N

My Polo randomly stopped starting

Post by owiewio »

I recently had a new catalytic converter and exhaust fitted on my 2005 1.4 Polo. I took it for a long drive shortly afterwards - around 3hrs down the motorway - and it seemed to be OK. There was an occasional sound from the exhaust in low gears, which I chalked up to a loose fitting (and have contacted the garage about).

However, the next day I went to start the car and the engine seems dead - when I:
  • put the key in the ignition and turn it to the first position, the lights on the dash come on as usual
  • turn the key all the way to start the engine - the engine makes zero sound and the key moves back to the second position when I let go
  • try to turn the key back to the third position again* - no dice, it sticks in the second position (it's almost like the car thinks the engine has started)
*I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour when trying and failing to start the engine - haven't thought of it before

The first time this happened I thought I might've spotted a tiny bit of smoke from under the engine, but I can't be sure. It definitely didn't make a sound. I've tried:
  • using my spare key (in case it was immobiliser related)
  • jump starting and bump starting
  • checking relevant fuses
When trying to bump start the car we didn't get much speed, but did try in first and reverse gears.

If anyone can help me diagnose this without breaking the bank that would be ace - cheers!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: My Polo randomly stopped starting

Post by alexperkins »

Sounds the starter solenoid is disconnected so it cant engage. Did the garage disconnect it by mistake?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: My Polo randomly stopped starting

Post by RUM4MO »

As alexperkins said, plus, lots of cars "interlock" the ignition lock after you have had the key in the start position as it stops you re-engaging the starter motor, probably with a running engine.

Jump starting in first or reverse - I would not expect much from that at low speeds except the car suddenly stopping, better to try a higher gear that would allow the car to keep moving along the road while turning the engine over, then declutch and let the engine "get its act together".

One thing, if you do manage to jump start it, and if everything is still okay it will, you can concentrate on finding out why the starter solenoid low current wire has fallen off or the high current solenoid supply or main engine earth is not connected properly, the engine might have been raised up a bit to get the bolts off the manicat - the cat is built into the exhaust manifold.