New Polo owner. What to check? Any known issues?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
PMed
New
Drives: 1.2 9N

New Polo owner. What to check? Any known issues?

Post by PMed »

Hi all,

I just bought a 2005 1.2 3-door Polo for my girlfriend to learn to drive in. My sister was getting rid of it and only wanted £500 - not a bad price I thought! It'll pay for itself in saved fuel as I'm going to commute in it instead of in a BMW M3 that does 25mpg.

I'm planning on going over the car to sort out any niggles it might have. Obviously I'll check when service items were done - oil, filters, plugs, fluids, brakes, cambelt (or does it have a timing chain?), etc.

Are there any other bits to check? Any known issues?

Thanks in advance.
PMed
New
Drives: 1.2 9N

Re: New Polo owner. What to check? Any known issues?

Post by PMed »

I'm reading about stretched timing chains... Is this something worth changing as preventative maintenance?

Also, what software and cable would I need for diagnostics?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: New Polo owner. What to check? Any known issues?

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe do some research over when VWG started fitting a better damping system etc in that chain area as replacing the chain might only be one part of a bigger upgrade you could do while that chain is being changed, a kit of bits might go as far as replacing the chain cover with one that has been modified to help keep the chain in place, I'm not a 1.2 6/12 valve person so I'm just throwing you some ideas.

Diagnostic leads etc: obviously VCDS is the only real one that will put you in a position to check the whole car over, but a VAG specific stand alone tool, if you can find one being sold on ebay etc, will be oaky for that age of engine, ABS and SRS, like an old Gendan one for example.

Just a friendly warning, discussing any cheap as chips scam'd copies of VCDS will not go down well on any of these forums, I like most people, have either bought VCDS from an official vendor or bought something entirely different.