Window Wiper Relay

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
reeflodge
New
Drives: 2003 Polo 1.4 16v

Window Wiper Relay

Post by reeflodge »

Is there a relay for the front window Wipers?
If so where is it and whats the part number.
2003 VW Polo 1.4 16v

My wipers work fine but when you switch them off they do not park properly ie they stop in the middle if the screen.

Reading lots of forums it seems that the relay could be the problem.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Window Wiper Relay

Post by RUM4MO »

I don't think that there is a separate relay to operate the windscreen wipers, even if there was, you need to understand that these wiper motors have a park function built into them, so you basically it will have an earth + a permanent ignition controlled supply + and a "wiper on" supply. When you switch the wiper switch off, the "wiper on" supply from a controller is removed and the wiper continues to run until it reaches the park position using its permanent supply, at that point it needs the "wiper on" supply to move past that - and so it stops. I'm guessing that for some reason, that park position has changed and that is what you need to sort out.

Just one thing, has this just started happening, or, have you just bought this car and someone has changed the position of the cranked linkage on the motor to park them in the middle of the screen - ie like track cars do?
reeflodge
New

Post by reeflodge »

Thanks for your reply and information.

Yes the car had a new windscreen fitted last week and that's when it started to go wrong!
The arms are fixed down properly.

Can it be fixed if I take the wiper motor out?
If so how is it done?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Well, the actual external bits, ie the wiper arms and blades will have been removed to replace that windscreen, now if they were then put back on in the wrong position, then the arms would sweep too far and right off the side of the screen or the bottom if they were put back on in the wrong position relative to their drive pivots, so that only leaves it looking like the windscreen fitters also removed the cranked arm from the wiper motor - and put it back on in the wrong position - then didn't bother to check the operation of the wipers!

So, if you are going to try to sort this out yourself, you will need to remove the arms from their drive shafts, remove the black plastics rain water deflector from below the windscreen, then maybe you will need to remove the windscreen wipers linkage - and then remove, reposition and tighten back up the cranked lever on the wiper motor - now how you get that cranked arm into the correct position, I don't know, but when the motor is in its parked position, the cranked arm should be in the position that drives the wiper arms to their furthest "down" position.

Personally, unless you have plenty time, tools and patience, I'd be taking it back and getting that job completed correctly this time.
reeflodge
New

Post by reeflodge »

To Be honest I don't think they removed the wiper motor or the mechanism there would be no reason to!
and it was working correctly for about 15 minutes.
reeflodge
New

Post by reeflodge »

Thanks RUM4MO

now fixed!
The window fitters must have done something to it as I turned the drive pivot 180 degrees and put it back together and now all ok.

Great bit of information.

:D
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good, and thanks for telling us what the problem ended up being, quite a few people join forums, ask for help - and then vanish!