air con clutch testing

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Aybesea
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 9Ns 1.2 AZQ 2003 Reflex Silver

air con clutch testing

Post by Aybesea »

Since i have had the car for about 3 years now i had a noise which i can only describe as a dry bearing spinning,I have fitted a different engine 2 years ago and new water pump and alternator was replaced aswell. As the sound was getting louder which only to be more pronouced from about 2.5 K eg. when driving inamongst traffic with revs going upand down eg.I have replaced the tensioner and idler which the latter was knackered .thinking i had fixed the problem but no.I am now thinking it could be the AC clutch .
I have looked at a diagram to get and idea of how it operates but i need to know should the center of the clutch spin freely with engine off .i took the aux belt off to test the outer pully which spun but only about 2times before stopping could not detect any wear in bearng etc. moving it it seems like something was dragging .
Now looking at the diagram seems to be some rubber what looks like damper/shock absorbers if these are damage i would presume that is what is causing the binding of the outer pully.
Should the inner part of the cluch spin freely?with the engine off. i know it is magnetic so will this make a differenc to the test.
Hope some one can tell me.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: air con clutch testing

Post by RUM4MO »

There is no electro magnetic clutch on that compressor, it is driven by the belt at all times, what you are seeing is the rubber shear coupling which is there to avoid stalling the auxiliary drive belt if the compressor seizes. So, the outer pulley should be connected to the inner part, if one can be moved relative to the other, your pulley drive has sheared due to compressor failure.
coopern
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 BUD 9N3 petrol manual

Post by coopern »

Does the air con work normally or not?
Aybesea
Getting There!

Post by Aybesea »

Yea the air con seems to work ok,i am wondering if it is the clutch bearing as that can only be what is left after needing to replace the other parts .The water pump,tensioner and idler have all been replaced the latter last week. the water pump about two years ago when i had a replacement engine put in. The air con clutch is the only original part that has not been replaced since i have had the polo and seeing as i have had this noise before the engine replacement leads me to think it is the bearing now.
Im trying to find the part No.for the compressor but on the web sites i have been on it seems it is a Denso 6SEU14C and bearing size of 35x52x20mm.
I could replace it and that would not be the problem,though it should not take to long to do, my problem is no garage or drive way and the weather is crap at the mo or unpredictable.
i could take it to a garage but they usally book car in say at 9am and though it may only take them say 30 mins to fix it they will have the car all day for a time slot which when living out in the sticks can be a pain in the +++ getting to and from garage (no Buses).
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Well you have asked the question, I've told you that there is no clutch on these compressors, you have also correctly identified which type of compressor is fitted, so why are you still trying to replace that compressor because of a clutch bearing issue with it.

The only thing that might be wrong is that the AC system is low on oil since it has been opened up to replace that engine, and might be the reason why that compressor is making a noise because like most other rotating devices, it will have a couple of bearing built into it.

BTW, do not replace that compressor yourself if you don't know about these fridge systems, there are a few rules that need to be obeyed wrt the fridge gas, it must get a new drier fitted and the new compressor will need some of its pre-loaded oil removed to prevent over filling.
Aybesea
Getting There!

Post by Aybesea »

Looks like i am going to the VW franchise then see what they think.if all is normal just have to live with it.Oh i would not of touched any pipe work seeing as that refrigeration fluid/gas is bit lethal.
Thanks for info.