Replaced - Drivers door lock module :)

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Replaced - Drivers door lock module :)

Post by bvs »

Took advantage today of a surprisingly warm dry day to change the drivers door lock module - pt no 3B2837016R
We had been having symptoms for some time (No door open caption/No lights left on buzzer/Puddle lights not illuminating when drivers door opened) and recently showed signs of slowly getting worse with the occasional alarm beep.All of these symptoms pointed to the door opening microswitch which is in the lock module.
There is a potential 'fix' for the switch - or sometimes they can be cleaned but I do not have a garage for lengthy jobs - so I just decided to buy an 'ebay special' module from Titanautoparts (£29.00 inc p and p) - this unit arrived within 2 days and I was just waiting for a reasonable day to fit it.
So with reference to an online guide plus a couple of youtube vids - I did the job today in approx 4.5 hours - what a pain in the ass little job :),I just managed to finish it before the sky started rapidly clouding up, and so far the unit seems to be working ok !
Time will tell how good this very cheap unit is (Box is marked as Alphatec - Automotive.com).
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Replaced - Drivers door lock module :)

Post by RUM4MO »

Excellent, I'm a bit jealous of that car having "puddle lights" though, something I always meant to retro fit to my wife's 2002 Polo as by the time it was built in September 2002 VW was leaving that feature out!
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Re: Replaced - Drivers door lock module :)

Post by bvs »

Aha - we bought the car with non functioning puddle lights LOL,but I got a couple of pristine units on ebay + 2 bulbs and 'et voila' working puddle lights - they are actually handy for early warning of probs,the puddle lights not illuminating when the drivers door opened was my first indication of a problem.Of course it would have been a lot easier if the door switch was just mounted in the forward pillar like on the old cars :mrgreen: