Alloy wheels

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
davemillson1212
New
Drives: 2003 1.2

Alloy wheels

Post by davemillson1212 »

Hi everyone new to this ive just bought a vw polo 1.2 2003 its got 14 inch standard steel wheels on i bought some vw alloys 17inch but they are too big any suggestions what size i can potentially go to

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Re: Alloy wheels

Post by bvs »

Hi Dave

Our 2002 1.4 16v has 15'' Alloys as standard,15'' wheels allow you to have proper tyres fitted LOL,I am not a fan of the ultra low profile 'Rubber Band' tyres which became fashionable from a few years ago.With the state of our roads/potholes etc I think it wise to have a decent sidewall to let the tyres 'flex' as you hit road damage,I have seen quite a lot of sidewall damage on friends cars caused by the lack of flex/rim clearance in the low profile tyre sidewalls.
I know it is not what you are looking for but I am boringly practical :mrgreen:

rgds B
davemillson1212
New

bvs wrote:Hi Dave

Our 2002 1.4 16v has 15'' Alloys as standard,15'' wheels allow you to have proper tyres fitted LOL,I am not a fan of the ultra low profile 'Rubber Band' tyres which became fashionable from a few years ago.With the state of our roads/potholes etc I think it wise to have a decent sidewall to let the tyres 'flex' as you hit road damage,I have seen quite a lot of sidewall damage on friends cars caused by the lack of flex/rim clearance in the low profile tyre sidewalls.
I know it is not what you are looking for but I am boringly practical :mrgreen:

rgds B
Thanks for the reply i just want some nice alloys to make my car look better il probably get 15 inch ones like u say these are the ones i bought ImageImageImageImageImage

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Wow, that is some selection of tyres, even a winter or all season one in that mix - or two, these are Golf wheels and while anything is possible, you tend to find that VW and other car companies spec wheel widths to match the tyre that will get fitted to them, so if you fit these wheels with the tyres that suit them, you will either pay a lot of money to buy very low profile tyres, and suffer the inconveniences mentioned above, or you will fit the correct tyre for that wheel and end up affecting the speedo calibration and overall gearing of the car, which might make it a bit of a dog to drive. There is also the possible issue of the offset being wrong, though that might be okay, I'm guessing that you have checked the PCD of the fixing bolt holes and the centre bore of these wheels before buying them?

There were 15" VW alloys called Melbourne that will be suitable for your Polo and no doubt a few VW supplied aftermarket 15 wheels as well. But remember to make sure the wheel width is okay for the width of tyre you intend to use, the fixing bolts are the correct number (5) and their PCD is correct and well as the offset (ET) and the centre bore.

Edit:- my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza was spec'd up new with 17" alloys and that hurts a lot at tyre changing time.
davemillson1212
New

RUM4MO wrote:Wow, that is some selection of tyres, even a winter or all season one in that mix - or two, these are Golf wheels and while anything is possible, you tend to find that VW and other car companies spec wheel widths to match the tyre that will get fitted to them, so if you fit these wheels with the tyres that suit them, you will either pay a lot of money to buy very low profile tyres, and suffer the inconveniences mentioned above, or you will fit the correct tyre for that wheel and end up affecting the speedo calibration and overall gearing of the car, which might make it a bit of a dog to drive. There is also the possible issue of the offset being wrong, though that might be okay, I'm guessing that you have checked the PCD of the fixing bolt holes and the centre bore of these wheels before buying them?

There were 15" VW alloys called Melbourne that will be suitable for your Polo and no doubt a few VW supplied aftermarket 15 wheels as well. But remember to make sure the wheel width is okay for the width of tyre you intend to use, the fixing bolts are the correct number (5) and their PCD is correct and well as the offset (ET) and the centre bore.

Edit:- my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza was spec'd up new with 17" alloys and that hurts a lot at tyre changing time.
Thanks for that i didnt check no i know little about stuff like this im wanting to sell them to get the correct ones for my car been told these are too big for my car

RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

In case that you don't know, for the purposes of selling them without someone moaning to you, look on the rear of the wheels, there should be a series of numbers a long string of letters and numbers an example is "6R0 601 025 L" , that is the actual VW part number, you should also find the diameter and width in there as well something along the lines of "6J X 15 H2 ET 38" these quoted numbers equate to a 6" wide wheel of 15" diameter with an H2 profile and an offset of 38mm - all that info should be on that wheel either on the inside of the hub mounting area and/or the recess where the centre cover fits over.
davemillson1212
New

RUM4MO wrote:In case that you don't know, for the purposes of selling them without someone moaning to you, look on the rear of the wheels, there should be a series of numbers a long string of letters and numbers an example is "6R0 601 025 L" , that is the actual VW part number, you should also find the diameter and width in there as well something along the lines of "6J X 15 H2 ET 38" these quoted numbers equate to a 6" wide wheel of 15" diameter with an H2 profile and an offset of 38mm - all that info should be on that wheel either on the inside of the hub mounting area and/or the recess where the centre cover fits over.
Thank you il check later appreciate your help

coopern
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 BUD 9N3 petrol manual

Post by coopern »

The last 9N3 polos have manufacturer fitted 15 6J wheels with 195/55/15 tyres. I've also seen these fitted to a lot of older 9N polo's.

I will mention that if you have 4 15" wheels/tyres plus the old 14" spare in the boot, if you get a flat tyre on the front and fit the 14" spare you will find the car will veer to one side. If you get a flat on the front the 14" should go on the back. My 9N3 spare has a steel wheel, its not an alloy.
davemillson1212
New

coopern wrote:The last 9N3 polos have manufacturer fitted 15 6J wheels with 195/55/15 tyres. I've also seen these fitted to a lot of older 9N polo's.

I will mention that if you have 4 15" wheels/tyres plus the old 14" spare in the boot, if you get a flat tyre on the front and fit the 14" spare you will find the car will veer to one side. If you get a flat on the front the 14" should go on the back. My 9N3 spare has a steel wheel, its not an alloy.
Anyone an idea how much these are worth before i put them up ive no idea

bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Just to add that we have the standard 15'' Alloys on our 9n and they are fitted with 195/50/15 tyres.

rgds B
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

bvs wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:57 am Just to add that we have the standard 15'' Alloys on our 9n and they are fitted with 195/50/15 tyres.

rgds B
Oh, I thought that I posting in respond of your posting! Anyway, yes 195/55 X 15 and 195/50 X15 were both used by VW I'm guessing availability and/or cost forced that change form one to the other, though I can't remember which was the original factory fit size. Anyway I stuck with the size that came from the factory for my wife's old Polo 1.4 SE with Melbourne alloys.
flipper74
New

Post by flipper74 »

I have a spare set of 5 bbs san marino alloys from a 9n.In not too bad condition considering there age.
davemillson1212
New

flipper74 wrote:I have a spare set of 5 bbs san marino alloys from a 9n.In not too bad condition considering there age.
Not to be rude but meaning ??

RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd take that as an offer to sell you a set of suitable wheels, maybe PM that poster for further info pictures/price and where these wheels are located.

Edit:- be aware that they are 16" and split rims, so consider all that before buying, if you are okay with that - then okay.
davemillson1212
New

RUM4MO wrote:I'd take that as an offer to sell you a set of suitable wheels, maybe PM that poster for further info pictures/price and where these wheels are located.

Edit:- be aware that they are 16" and split rims, so consider all that before buying, if you are okay with that - then okay.
Not got money at minute hence trying to sell these but thankyou anyway