Coolant and engine light

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
scruff1318
New
Drives: Twist 1.4 to 3 cylinder

Coolant and engine light

Post by scruff1318 »

Hi all

2 days ago my coolant light flashed on for 2 or 3 seconds and went off. It hadn't since come on. As I have finished work early today I thought it best to go get some antifreeze. Whilst driving my engine light has come on and not gone off.

I have bought coolant and waiting car to cool down to check this. I have a 1.4 polo twist tdi 3 cylinder. Do you think this will work or could it be more sinister?

No funny smells. Sounds and drives as normal.

Thanks in advance :roll:
spacewalker
Bronze Member
Drives: Just a VW

Re: Coolant and engine light

Post by spacewalker »

you can check MeasureBlock to see what value is read via cluster and compare this with other sensors
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

When you say coolant light, and you have bought proper VW G12/G12+/G12++/G13 coolant concentrate additive, I'm guessing that you are meaning coolant level and not coolant temperature - which is it?

Also never mix VW pink/red/purple coolant with other types of coolant concentrate unless you know that they can be mixed.

If it was coolant level warning and you found that the coolant level is okay, then it will be the coolant level sensor that has failed, most people finding this fault replace the complete header tank.

If I'm wrong and it was the coolant high temperature warning that you had then ignore the previous sentence.
scruff1318
New

Post by scruff1318 »

I was good and bought the correct G12 for my car. But was just worried as to why the engine light has now come on?

The coolant was low when I have checked and have now topped it up.

Think I will probably go and get it checked to make sure. I drive 90 miles each day to and from work so for the best I Think???

Thank you
scruff1318
New

Post by scruff1318 »

Sorry spacewalker I don't understand what you mean.......only understand the basics of a car what my dad taught me!
scruff1318
New

Post by scruff1318 »

Oh and to clarify the car temperature has Been fine
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Our 9n throws up an engine management light occasionally - I bought a cheap U281 code reader from ebay,quite often I can just do a 'reset' using the U281 - unless it is a major problem code that does need sorting out LOL.
The reader just plugs into the OBD port which is just under the drivers small parcel shelf (ie just above the pedals) - on our 9n the OBD socket is not even covered - easy to see.
The EML light might have even come on because you had a low level warning - in which case you probably can just reset it.

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

How low had the coolant level dropped by, do you think that it was below the coolant level sensor point? These cheap scan tools are handy and foolproof so can save you a fortuneon getting a garage to clear fault codes, though it is a smart idea to log all faults and consider what was being reported as being a problem just in case you can check it out to make sure that is was not any thing serious.