1.4 TDI Issues

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
TorqueyVw
New
Drives: 9n 1.4TDI

1.4 TDI Issues

Post by TorqueyVw »

Hi All,

My mrs has a 2002 Polo 1.4 TDI.

2 weeks Ago, I had my trustworthy mechanic to change the Coolant Bottle due to leak as the car would not blow out hot air and then change the sensor for it as the red temperature light was consistently displaced on the instrument cluster. Since, all is well apart from the annoying red temperature light that still pings at me everytime I start the motor.

So, the real trouble. When the car is driven to a stop and is stationary, the engine cuts out and and is a struggle to start again. I understand a new starter motor is required for the car due it lacking on start up but my mechanic is telling me that a new 'Tandem Pump' is needed as there is a leak of oil and a strong smell of diesel in that region of the engine bay as you take the engine cover off.

Now, I put my trust in you all to guide me to rectify this cutting out problem as my mechanic is very close to washing his hands with it and calling it a day.

The car has covered 109,000 miles and has had a full service with all quality parts including the usual Oil Change and Filter, air filter, pollen filter, and fuel filter 2 weeks ago.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 1.4 TDI Issues

Post by alexperkins »

It might be worth changing the 109 relay. I had similar issues with my 1.4 TDI before i changed it. Its the one that controls the fuel pump relay from the ECU and has a habit of failing
TorqueyVw
New
Drives: 9n 1.4TDI

Re: 1.4 TDI Issues

Post by TorqueyVw »

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your response. I've been googling the symptoms of the failed relay and it all clearly shows the same evidence that is currently happening with my polo. I shall have my mechanic order the part and give more life to my motor. :D