Polo 9n 1.4 16V oil sump removal

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Polo 9n 1.4 16V oil sump removal

Post by littlepolo »

I got stuck today trying to remove the oil sump following instructions in the Haynes manual (which seemed quite straightforward). Used a ball-head 5mm key to access the bolts recessed by the transmission casing and whilst a bit fiddly it was not difficult to remove them. Where I got stuck is at the rear of the casing where two bolts are just under the driveshaft/CV joint. It might be possible to get a very cut down allen key on the bolts but there is not much space above the bolt nearest the driveshaft/CV flange and I'm not sure there is clearance to remove it, maybe. Disconnecting the CV joint seems like one way to proceed. Can someone who has done this advise please?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo 9n 1.4 16V oil sump removal

Post by RUM4MO »

I don't know if it helps, but many years ago I had trouble removing the fixings from the sump on my 1991 VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4, so I went out and bought a 250mm long 1/4"D extension bar that had a "wobble" end, it was made by Sykes Pickavant - and that made life a lot easier for me. Since then I've bought some 3/8"D and some 1/2"D extension bars with wobble ends!

Actually you have probably answered your own question, get the drive shaft off, probably 36mm 12 pointed nut (BiHex by any other name and replace on reassembly) - you will probably need to the remove the 3 bolts from the lower swivel joint to give you enough room to get the end of the drive shaft out of the hub.

Having a good selection of cut down allen keys is handy, but it will be very time consuming to get these fixings out that way I'd guess.

I've never done this job though it would be handy if the inner end of the drive shaft flange was just held in with a snap ring - I think some older VWs had a bolt to hold that end in and it had a strong spring to make life annoying.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I think there is not enough space for articulation of a drive coupling of any sort. A very small ratchet drive with a 5mm bit would stand a chance if it was no more than around 1/2" - 5/8" high. So it looks like the joint has to be removed and I was expecting the three lower wishbone bolts would have to come off to get enough clearance. Strange the Haynes manual never made any suggestion this was not an easy job.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, I've just had a look at my old Haynes Polo book, get exhaust off out of the way > unplug oil level sensor, progressively remove all the sump retaining bolts > tap it free > Bob's your uncle! It is made to sound another 5 minute job - what could possibly go wrong!!!

Maybe you are finding out what can possibly go wrong, sounds a bit naughty as what I have read and written above did come from "1.4 litre petrol engine in-car repair procedures" !! (luckily I have not "been there and done that")

Good luck, I'm guessing that it is just the inner CV joint itself and not the gearbox output shaft fitting that is getting in the way, ie worst case being that you will need to unbolt the inner end of the drive shaft and move it out of the way enough, maybe after taking the spine bolts out, move the steering to see if that helps you gain enough "length" to move the shaft end across and out of your way - without touching the outer end of that shaft and lower swivel?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Got the sump off today with the driveshaft in place. Cut down a 5mm allen key to about 15mm height to use as the tool. Loosened off engine mounts and jacked engine to increase clearance between driveshaft coupling and bolt head. Of the two bolts that were in this area I managed to get access to one but had to put a short steel tube over it to undo it. Once undone I accessed from below with a 5mm ball head - the short end could not rotate 360 degrees because of the exhaust so had to do 1/4 turn at a time. Luckily, after a turn or two, wearing gloves to get a grip and using my fingers I could spin it out by hand.

The bolt right next to the coupling was trickier, with less space to get the cut down allen key in. Once I succeeded with that I put the steel tube on it and tried to turn. It seemed very tight so checked I was turning anti-clockwise. Gave it a bit more force and it would not move. When I pulled the allen key and tube out the tube was bent. I was concerned about this but found that it had fouled on a block lug. Put the allen key back in (eventually) rotated back one flat with a new piece of tube. The bolt must have been loosened by the first effort and it was quite easy to turn. I was able to get the ball head in to turn one flat at a time. Eventually the bolt was out but would not drop because of the drive coupling. After breaking the sump seal to the block I was able to angle it and the last remaining bolt dropped out.

I think it will be a difficult job to replace the sump in the same way. I'll probably have to drop the driveshaft because there's not way I can cleanly and easily place the sump with it's Dirko setting and get all those bolts done up quickly enough.

I was expecting to find a blocked pickup strainer and lots of sludge or debris in the sump but the strainer was clear and the contents of the sump looked OK under the circumstances (more of which later). I need to get back to the main job which was to be an engine swap but might now be only top end and oil pump depending on what I find when I strip down the top end.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, it does sound like using that method to refit the sump with its instant gasket goo would be a pain. I'd think going to the trouble of moving that shaft out of the way will let you get the sump back on and sealed up first time.