Lower engine mount bolt

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Andrew S
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 2004

Lower engine mount bolt

Post by Andrew S »

Just fitted a new lower rear engine mount. Easy job, But should the bolt where it pivots be tight or just enough to allow the mount to flex?
Cheers
Andrew
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Lower engine mount bolt

Post by RUM4MO »

To quote from Haynes:- Rear mounting link - to transmission, stage 1 30Nm, stage 2 angle tighten a further 90 degrees Rear mounting link - to subframe, stage 1 40Nm, stage 2 angle tighten a further 90 degrees.

This I think is the "dog leg" mounting link, which I hope is what you are referring to.

Further to that, I seem to remember reading, many years ago, that, as there must be some clearance holes on the subframe, that you should force the engine either as far back as possible or as far forward as possible prior to tightening the bolts fixing it to the subframe .

I'd think that the isolation material will flex so that the bracket does not need to rotate freely, in fact if it rotates freely it will not be working correctly.

Edit:- I think that my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL might just be having an issue with that link, so no design improvements there!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Thanks for the advice
Cheers
Andrew
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

These are TTY (torque to yield) stretch bolts which must be replaced on each use else they can be over stretched and snap

Be sure to pick up some new ones from your local Vw dealer.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

alexperkins wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:28 am These are TTY (torque to yield) stretch bolts which must be replaced on each use else they can be over stretched and snap

Be sure to pick up some new ones from your local Vw dealer.
Alex, any comments to make over my comments about maybe needing to push/pull the engine forward/backwards when fitting these links back on, I could have been completely wrong and imagined that.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The engine may need some gently persuasion, but nothing more than some gentle leverage to get the bolts to line up

Fit the rear dog mount to subframe bolts first then the single lower bolt last

The bolts must be tight. Any flex is done in the rubber mounting
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Thanks, this what I have done now :)
I just didn’t know if it pivoted on the bolt or bush and how tight I should do the bolt as it arrived all floppy for assembly.

I was hoping it was going to get rid of what feels like something touching when you pull away or get biting point on the clutch asi can feel something and hear it touching near the pedals.

Need to have a closer look and ignore the cold weather :O

Cheers
Andrew