1.4TDi Gearing

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Bramm
New
Drives: 2003 1.4 TDi

1.4TDi Gearing

Post by Bramm »

Hi all,

First time post and looking for some advice from you kind peeps. I've recently bought a 2003 Polo 1.4TDi to run for the work commute but I have a query.

When I took it for a test drive I was on 60mph roads so I accelerated quickly through the gears and everything seemed fine. However when I collected it the next day and then drove into my local town about 20 miles away the car drove there fine and performed as it did on my test drive but once I got into the 40mph zone into town I had to use 4th as 5th at 40mph vibrated the entire car the once I got into the 30mph zone I couldn't drive in anything higher than 3rd as 4th at 30mph would do the same thing.

I contacted the trader I bought it from and he asked me to take it to the local garage who do the warranty work for him which I did today. They drove it this morning, experienced the issue and said that's normal as I'm letting the engine labour, I'm not used to a 3 cylinder car and maybe I've bought the wrong car.

Can anyone confirm this for me as to be honest I have my doubts? It seems to occur anything under around 1800-2000rpm and surely I don't have to drive this car around constantly above that?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Andy
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: 1.4TDi Gearing

Post by alexperkins »

My 1.4 TDi was the same and it’s normal

30 in 3rd. Realistically 35 before 4th

40 in 4th and 45 upwards for 5th

These engines do plod a bit of the revs aren’t right for the gear you are in

A full service including the diesel filter and a check of the engine mounts for wear wouldn’t go a miss
TorqueyVw
New
Drives: 9n 1.4TDI

Post by TorqueyVw »

The same issues for me when I was running my 1.4 tdi. An engine oil flush with manufactur approved oil should see some improvement in terms of power delivery and if you've got deep pockets, a remap for £150 from a reputable company should wash your problems away. Stay away from the cheap tuningchips though..
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Diesels do tend to be grumbly at low speeds/rpm.
We have 2 cars - one is a 1.4 petrol which we can drive in 5th down to 30 and we can accelerate away gently without changing down.
The other is a 1.9 tdi Fabia and as Alex already posted this car is not really comfortable in 4th below 35.
It is partly because diesel engines tend to be less smooth than a petrol engine but it is also because of the gear ratios.
In the petrol car we are doing 3,500 rpm at 70.
In the diesel we are doing 2,250 rpm at 70.
I think the very expensive dual mass flywheels were invented to cut down on low speed rumble for diesels.
A remap will probably not solve the problem but it may give more torque and mpg's :)
Me9141
Getting There!

Post by Me9141 »

Completely normal, had mine for years and it does the same thing. It is annoying. Supposedly it is because of the balance of the engine with it only having three cylinders.

Remap sounds like a good option but make sure its reputable as another user pointed out and you get the car checked out as a part such as the turbo or flywheel can wear quicker if its already on its way out.