Power steering

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
SeanieM99
New
Drives: 9n

Power steering

Post by SeanieM99 »

I have had my 9n 1.2 for 8 months. It only has 38,000 miles on the clock. Ever since I have had it, there have been 3 beeps when I turn the ignition on but no lights on the dash. Then after a couple of months it began to cut out when turning it on. Just today, I turned left out of a junction and the dash beeped 3 times , still no lights, and the radio turned off and on (aftermarket radio). I carried on driving. When I turned right to go down my road, there was 3 beeps, the engine went to stall but didn't, and the power steering went and the handbrake light was flashing. The PAS light might of been on , I cannot remember that well as I was focusing on the heavy steering. I got to my road and parked, turned the engine off and back on and the steering was fine but there was 3 beeps and the handbrake light is flashing with the abs light dimly lit.
This happens every time I turn the ignition on and the handbrake light continues to flash whether it is down, up, I am moving, I am still. I removed fuse no. 23 and the lights went off . Does anyone have any ideas and how is power steering related to ABS and the handbrake.

Sorry for the long post,
Hope everyone had a merry Christmas
Thanks .
SeanieM99
New

Re: Power steering

Post by SeanieM99 »

Also, when the front and/or interior light is on and I steer, the lights go dimmer for a second , could this be something related to the power steering pump?
Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The temporary dimming of lights while turning the steering wheel is to be expected as that electric powered hydraulic power uses/needs quite a bit of power from the battery.

Do you know what general condition the battery is in as it might just be the weak link here?

After finding out the condition of the battery, ie present capacity and ability to deliver enough current, or remain at a useful voltage while cranking, you might move on the charging system, after that it will be down to digging deeper and getting that car scanned preferably using fully VW Group compliant scan tool, ie not just a generic OBD2 scan tool which will only report a few engine emissions related fault codes.

Good Luck!
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Just to confirm that on our 9n the lights also dim/flicker whilst moving the steering wheel at very low speed/rpm.
What make is the stereo ? Some sony's (inc our explode) has a caution alarm when power goes off,the alarm can be turned off but it is a hidden menu (thanku to Baab on youtube).

A quick check of battery voltage can be done with a multimeter,a fully charged battery should be 12.6v min,one can then check the charging system by starting the engine and note the new voltage reading (should be approx 13.6v to 14.4v from memory).
There is lots of info on the internet about polo charging probs (if that is the cause of your probs of course)

Just make sure that you do not have any loose clothing/hoodie drawstrings or any other dangly bits hanging down near the rotating engine parts whilst checking the charging voltage.
The charging voltage varies with battery charge state and temp.
SeanieM99
New

Post by SeanieM99 »

Sorry for the late reply.
I replaced the battery after testing the voltages. I believed it to be the power steering fluid which is below the battery in a very awkward position so I had to remove the battery anyway.
The fluid was good so I replaced the battery, and tested the new battery. The problem hasn't occured yet but I've put it down to the power steering pump itself so will be looking into replacing that in the future