Hardwire dash cam to which fuse?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Me9141
Getting There!

Hardwire dash cam to which fuse?

Post by Me9141 »

Hi all,

Fitting a dash cam to my 9n.

What fuse is best that only powers the camera on when the ignition is on?

Had a quick google and search on this forum, but no clear answer.

I'm using a fuse piggy back (the one which plugs into a fuse hole, then you put two fuses in, one for the existing fuse for that space and the other is for the dash cam) so which way does the current flow? Which is live/constant 12v the left or the right slot?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Hardwire dash cam to which fuse?

Post by littlepolo »

There is a guide on here somewhere for a 6C, not sure if it would help.

Also planning to fit a dash cam myself.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Did you make any progress with this?
dunglass
New
Drives: 6C

Post by dunglass »

I know this is really late but I just found this forum and this thread. I installed a dashcam in my 6N using a fusetap to the 25A fresh air blower fuse. (Number 36) as this is only live when the engine is running.

I wired this up to a dashcam kit off eBay that converts the 12v to 5v with a usb connector. I mounted this unit with double sided tape above the fusebox and ran the usb cable up the A pillar and through the headliner to the desired location

Hope this helps
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I've also installed a dual dash cam (front and rear) and tapped into a fuse by the driver's door. Ran the cable up the pillar. The link cable from front to rear camera was run along the headlining, just adjacent to the grab handles (which I removed for easier access). Most of the trim at the rear snaps off and allows the cable to be fed across to the center of the tailgate. I did make a small hole/cutout to route the cable across to the glass, leaving a loop of cable to flex as the tailgate is opened and closed. 1-2 hours work.
Me9141
Getting There!

Post by Me9141 »

Piggy backed using a fuse, cant remeber which. But since the battery keeps draining. Will unplug and re-think. Cant remember why I didnt use the ciggarrette lighter, maybe its a smaller fuse.

Will try and test which side is live left or right.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Which hardwire kit are you using? I have the Lutuo kit from Amazon in two vehicles. One is in daily use and I never had a problem with it. The other vehicle is in less regular use and I've found on multiple occasions the voltage controller does not cut off soon enough leading to a no start condition. I'm going to try and swap the voltage controllers to see if the problem remains. Without a voltage cut off you have no chance to maintain the battery.