Left headlights on, No warning beep

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
JackFoster
New
Drives: 2004 MK4 9N3

Left headlights on, No warning beep

Post by JackFoster »

Hi, this is my first post! not sure if i'm posting in the correct place
I bought my 2004 Polo 9n3 back in January 2018, and their is one problem i have noticed if i leave my headlights turned on, have my keys out the igniton and open the door there is not a beeping noise to let me know that i have left my lights on. i have tried to google the issue but cannot find a fix? has anyone got any ideas of how i could fix this issue? i would really appreciate it!

Many Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Left headlights on, No warning beep

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that your plan of action should be to check to see if you can get the buzzer to sound for another issue, first one that I can think about is "handbrake on" - so drive the car and apply the handbrake enough to get the handbrake light on, I think that it should sound the buzzer when that happens when the car is moving.

If that works okay, check that the door switches are all working, ie does the interior light switch on when the driver's door is opened, does it switch on when the passenger's door is opened. If the car has central locking, can you lock/unlock all the doors from the driver's door lock, same for the passenger's door lock (if it has an exposed lock cylinder)?
Walton
New
Drives: Polo 9N 1.4 FSI

Post by Walton »

My Polo started doing this, and the most common diagnosis was to do with the instrument panel.

Unfortunately mine ended up with the ECU completely dying a month or two later, so I'd get it to your mechanic asap.
JackFoster
New
Drives: 2004 MK4 9N3

Post by JackFoster »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:51 am I'd think that your plan of action should be to check to see if you can get the buzzer to sound for another issue, first one that I can think about is "handbrake on" - so drive the car and apply the handbrake enough to get the handbrake light on, I think that it should sound the buzzer when that happens when the car is moving.

If that works okay, check that the door switches are all working, ie does the interior light switch on when the driver's door is opened, does it switch on when the passenger's door is opened. If the car has central locking, can you lock/unlock all the doors from the driver's door lock, same for the passenger's door lock (if it has an exposed lock cylinder)?
Hi! Thank you for your reply,
My Interior light switch fell off before I owned the car, so today I replaced it with a whole now interior light unit. Both the passenger and drivers side door turn on the interior light. The car does have central locking and locks both doors 99% off the time. Currently waiting for a new manifold to arrive as it has blown, so I can’t currently drive the car to test if the handbrake has a beep or not. The last time I checked it did. . Umm I’m new to owning a car so how do I check the door switches? Many thanks
Ottoluke
New
Drives: Polo 9n 2002

Post by Ottoluke »

Hi, I feel like I have to revive this thread, because I came across this issue and couldn't find solution over the internet. Everyone was refering to broken door switch, or dead buzzer, but as it turns out, its not always the answer.
Loose 8pin socket on cluster was, though.

I have bought my polo with broken driver door lock switches, so no interior light, misbehaving central locking and obviously no headlight chime. I replaced entire door lock module, so everything was working now, except that chime. It wasn't the case of dead buzzer either, as I got any other beeps I should. So with no further help from internet I just accepted it doesn't work.

And then one day, out of blue - it worked. Few miles later on next stop - silent again. So I decided to check cluster connectors - after giving the 8pin connector a little wiggle - lights chime! Problem was not the plug, but socket on the cluster - joints were broken, after resoldering them - everything works perfectly, including headlight chime (and oh its so annoying) :D

Why didn't I suspect and check cluster connection before? Because literally everything else worked. There was no problem with backlight, instrumets, other chimes, it kept time and daily odometer.
adrenalinejunkie
New
Drives: Vw polo

Post by adrenalinejunkie »

Hi my gf car has started doing this now, where abouts is that 8 pin cluster located please , would be a great help , many thanks
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Behind the instrument cluster, you will have to remove it to check