Gear Gaitor & Gear Knob Installation - VW Polo 9n3

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
JackFoster
New
Drives: 2004 MK4 9N3

Gear Gaitor & Gear Knob Installation - VW Polo 9n3

Post by JackFoster »

Hi all! this is just a quick tutorial of how to change the default Gear gaitor/knob on a 9n3 to a custom gaitor/knob :)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Gear Gaitor & Gear Knob Installation - VW Polo 9n3

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe make up a spacer to fit over the gear lever so that you can keep the top of the gaiter a bit lower than you have it now as it is getting stretched when you move it into 5th and maybe more - that gaiter will have been designed to replace the leatherette standard one while still using the standard type of knob.

For anyone else changing their gaiter to proper leather - some models of Polo had leather not leatherette as I discovered, but the leather was far too hard, try to ease open the clamping ring that retains the gear knob as if you do that, you can reuse it by crushing it closed again with suitably blunted wire cutters etc.

I just opened up the staples and reused them, I seem to remember, or used some very strong thread, also be careful about where you lever the gaiter frame out or you might just break it, if you look at the view on this thread, you can see exactly where the retaining clips are positioned.