Rear wiper blade

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Rear wiper blade

Post by littlepolo »

I'm planning to investigate further at the weekend. Would anyone know to which terminals I could apply 12V to prove the motors are working?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Heres a copy of the wiring diagram. V12 is the motor

Looks like the feed is on 4, with ground on 1, then a relay across 2 and 3 to trigger the operation
Attachments
wipers.png
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Thanks. So I need to jumper (short) 2 and 3 while a voltage is applied to 4 and a ground to 1?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

You may find 4 already has a 12V feed permanently, and shorting 2 and 3 just triggers the motor. Multimeter time!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I think it does actually. 75X is ignition live, so it should have a live with the ignition on.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I've rigged up the new motor on the bench and supplied 12V to 4 and ground to 1. Shorting 2 and 3 does not trigger the motor.

Also tried jumpering 2 and 3 of the motor on the vehicle with the ignition on and the tailgate closed. Nothing.

Incidentally, the tailgate release has stopped working again. It looks like no power is getting to the actuator. I have the cover off so can see the mechanism clearly.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Just a quick update on this saga with the rear wiper motor. Checked the replacement unit on the bench again - it's not working. Wired up a line from the battery to the existing motor and jumped the relay. Not working. Checked voltage at terminal 4 and 12V is present. It has to be the motor(s). Ordering a new part from a supplier in Germany so I don't get caught out again with a defective used unit.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Rear wiper not working still

Post by littlepolo »

The weather has prompted me to have another go at getting the rear wiper working again. Just to recap I had inspected the wiring in the tailgate gaiter as best I could yet was unable to find a break. There is voltage present at the motor. I know the motor works because last week it suddenly sprung into life, albeit for a short time. I cannot explain this, only to say it followed a spell of very rainy weather. The tailgate had not been opened or closed for several days. Next day the rear wiper was inoperative again.

One part I'm not clear on is the tailgate microswitch and how it controls the rear wiper. I'm assuming the tailgate microswitch is working because when the tailgate is not closed the dashboard warning light is on.

A couple of days ago another electrical gremlin appeared. Driving in the rain the front wiper intermittent setting seemed to stop working. When I changed the intermittent speed the wipers would sweep and then not operate at the set rate. Later in the day the intermittent front wipers started working again. Probably not connected to the rear wiper problem.

Am I missing anything?
Aybesea
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 9Ns 1.2 AZQ 2003 Reflex Silver

Post by Aybesea »

Not sure if this will help but my front wppers done that but that was due to the bonnet not shut properly,closed it and all was well .The rear wipe might be connected to the front switch also in the bonnet like the wipers for intermitant.lock in the bonnet might be needing adjustment.Just a thought.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Thanks. Not sure it's connected to the rear wiper. The front wipers operate normally (mostly).
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread, however, I struggled for a while and eventually found it. A Bosch H282 is what fits. They used it on the mk3s and briefly on the mk4s then switched to the newer blade style.

Again it is a Bosch H282 heres an amazon link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOSCH-H282-Spe ... elId=16332

Hope this helps :)

Edit: misread the thread and jumped the gun but hopefully this helps anyone else looking
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Just to frustrate me even more, the rear wiper is now working again. Not sure how long it will last. The only thing that has changed is the tailgate has been opened and closed. Broken/damaged wiring (which I could not find on earlier investigation)? Microswitch? Tailgate still does not release on central locking. Is there any connection between tailgate operation and the rear wiper?

Only other strange thing going on is electrical gremlins. Last week the rear position lamps seemed to be on with the switch set to off. Later, I left the lamps on with the switch on - I had forgotten because there was no warning buzzer (I had not forgotten the first time).
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I have found the rear wiper tends to work briefly in the morning before stopping again. I was wondering if this was down to moisture/damp. Just went to a car wash and the wiper worked for a few minutes after before stopping. Could this correlate with a bad earth, wiring fault, or microswitch problem? I cannot imagine water ingress is a major problem, particularly around the tailgate to body rubber boot?