VW POLO 03 MK4 - WIPERS STUCK / DONT PARK AFTER USING ON FROZEN WINDSCREEN

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Deanward6n
New
Drives: 2003 mk4

VW POLO 03 MK4 - WIPERS STUCK / DONT PARK AFTER USING ON FROZEN WINDSCREEN

Post by Deanward6n »

I have a Mk4 polo and it recently snowed, I stupidly turnt my wipers on when they where frozen to the screen.
They now park upwards on my screen and whenever I turn my car on via. Ignition they turn on and park upwards so every time I get in my car I have to push them down.

I’ve googled everything and no one has ever had this fault, possible relay replacement? I’ve checked the fuse that’s all good, PLEASE HELP!!!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: VW POLO 03 MK4 - WIPERS STUCK / DONT PARK AFTER USING ON FROZEN WINDSCREEN

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that you will need to have a look at what has changed underneath the plastic cover below the windscreen as something has moved or distorted, if only one side was wrong I'd think that the wiper arm had rotated on its shaft, but as it seems that both are wrong, it will be something a bit more serious.
Deanward6n
New

Post by Deanward6n »

I’ll take up all the windscreen casing and check mechanism, I’ll get back to you
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Sounds like the linkage has jumped on the motor spline
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Urgent sounding job so you must have an update by now?
Deanward6n
New

Post by Deanward6n »

Taken off wipers and casing and can’t tell whether it has slipped a thread, it just moves back to original stuck position, what now?? Aswell is there such thing as a wiper relay? Or what relay correspondes to wipers
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

The self parking is built into the wiper motor, there will be a permanent +12V and permanent 0V on the wiper motor, the switchable +12V is only used to start them moving away from the parked position.

So, with the wiper arms off and the plastic cover removed, if you operate the wipers, you should see the crank being rotated and that should cause the linkage to move from side to side, that side ways motion if them translated into rotary motion by the fact that each ends of the linkage is fixed where it connects to the individual wiper spindles.

Now, make sure that when the wiper parks, these linkages are at the end of their side ways movement - if not remove the linkage from the wiper motor drive - leave the motor where it has parked, and refit the linkage so that it is now at the end of its travel (the end that equates to wipers being in their normal parked position), then operate the wipers again to check that you have now that the linkage fitted correctly, then it will just be plastic cover back on and wipers fitted back onto their spindles in the correct position.

Edit:- any slave relay in this wiper circuit would/should never dictate the position where they stop - ie park, as I said above, that function is controlled by a switch within the wiper motor.
Deanward6n
New

Post by Deanward6n »

Thank you so much! Sorted, I unbolted the mechanism when in the “parked” but upward position, reposition it to what it looked like in normal park mode, bolted back on and sorted, nice one fella! :D
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good stuff!