Spare Key

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
nelwd
New
Drives: 2002 Polo Tdi

Spare Key

Post by nelwd »

Hi,
I have just bought a 2002 (november) 1.9tdi sport. It has come with just one key, and I would like to get a spare. I have seen this one, https://keysinthepost.com/product/volks ... nder-chip/
As I have a working key already is it possible to use the working key to programme the new key? I have found random videos on You tube that seem to show you starting the car with one key, then locking it with the new key etc.
Can anybody confirm if you can do this.

Thanks

Will
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Spare Key

Post by RUM4MO »

I can't see there being any procedure available out there for you to code that new transponder without involving someone else, I think that they can be coded as clones and that can be done by some locksmiths, the original 2 keys would separate codes embedded in their transponder chips and the car recognised which key was being put into use every time and generated its rolling key code for that key - and so for the other key.

How successfully cloned keys work I can't say as it sounds like the car only "sees" 1 key ever now and is still using rolling codes to improve security - but I might be wrong there.