Tyres with less noise

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
coopern
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 BUD 9N3 petrol manual

Tyres with less noise

Post by coopern »

My tyres are firehawk 195/55/R15 from new, need 4 new ones.
I've looked for a long time on tyre review sites and there's NO agreement or consensus on which tyres are relatively quiet with less cabin noise. NO agreement at all. I was wondering whether the tyre manufacturers noise spec figure (eg 70db) can be relied on as a guide to which tyres will give less cabin noise? Can anyone tell me pls. Thanks. (post might not be in right section)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Tyres with less noise

Post by littlepolo »

Well it's all relative if you are comparing noise levels based on dbA ratings.

I've been using Continental Eco Contact for several years and they are not too bad, depending on the road surface. Last time I bought tyres I switched to Goodyear due to cost and they seem to be at least as quiet as the Continentals and I would buy them both again. I would not describe either of these tyres as noisy unless on concrete in which case most tyres are noisy.

Anything with a sporty profile is likely to be noisy so eco type (which might not wear as well) will be quieter.
coopern
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 BUD 9N3 petrol manual

Re: Tyres with less noise

Post by coopern »

Thanks for that. Your answer is helpful but exactly which conti's and goodyears are you referring to, and when, because tyres are always being updated and renamed. At over £80 a tyre I can't afford to experiment.