Is it normal for drive shaft/CV joint to move like this?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
VWPoloOwner
New
Drives: 1.4 TDI '03

Is it normal for drive shaft/CV joint to move like this?

Post by VWPoloOwner »

I don't know much about repairing cars but I had a go the track rod end and it's going well but the drive shaft looks like it moves a lot. Is it normal or has it came out or something?
https://youtu.be/EqMtSw9F3y0
Thanks for any help
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Is it normal for drive shaft/CV joint to move like this?

Post by RUM4MO »

That does not look right, I'd think that it is not being held in place by the "snap" ring.
VWPoloOwner
New

Post by VWPoloOwner »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:11 pm That does not look right, I'd think that it is not being held in place by the "snap" ring.
How would I go about fixing that?
VWPoloOwner
New

Post by VWPoloOwner »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:11 pm That does not look right, I'd think that it is not being held in place by the "snap" ring.
VWPoloOwner
New

Post by VWPoloOwner »

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd rather if someone else chipped in here if only to agree/disagree with me about that.

One thing, these shafts must be allowed to move enough to take into consideration changes in suspension angles, so they are never fixed solid, but, you should never ever remove a shaft and refit it without replacing the "snap" ring as it is a retainer - not a hugely strong retainer, but never the less a strong enough retainer to keep the shaft from being in danger of dropping out under abnormal conditions.

For me, it is just that your video makes that shaft free movement look too much to me, the inner knuckle joint is retained by a "snap" ring into the gearbox I think, the inner end of the drive shaft is splined into that knuckle joint and it slides at that point only, so maybe check if it is the knuckle that is allowing this extra movement or just the shaft's free movement.