Left speaker crackles

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Aybesea
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 9Ns 1.2 AZQ 2003 Reflex Silver

Left speaker crackles

Post by Aybesea »

When i turn on the ignition the left speaker in the windscreen A panel crackles,also i noticed that when i put the headlight switch on the crackle happens, but it only happens when something is switched on not after, and only on these two, ignition and headlight switch.Would anybody know if this could be a Beta radio issue or due to something else.It only happens on the left side so i presume it could be a bad connection between the Beta radio and the speaker in the door,the main door speaker does not make any crackle just this left hand small speaker.I am going to have a look at the connections on the speaker but is there anywhere else that could cause this?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Left speaker crackles

Post by alexperkins »

Could be a bad ground, though it could also be a fault in the BETA radio. Might be time for a new one
Aybesea
Getting There!

Post by Aybesea »

I will have to check the speaker ,i have not had time to take the door panel off yet i know the black earth wire behind the radio is ground to the chassis,Problem is i want to keep the original if possible so i am hoping it will be the earth on the small speaker that is not good,I was given a radio out of a VW 06 golf but the corners are rounded not straight can not remeber the model rd200/10 or something,I have not got it now as it would not fit.If it comes to that i will have to get a new one as long as it will take usb sd dongle for my mp3's.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

No that one wouldn’t work. Yours is an earlier pre canbus so beta or gamma are your choices on original radios

I would look into getting something more up to date like a pioneer in there as the sound quality is a ten fold improvement and allows you to have things like USB and Bluetooth connectivity

Brown is ground on VWs
Aybesea
Getting There!

Post by Aybesea »

I looked on Halfords website for radios with usb etc,the radio does not get used much so will not be paying a lot ,what i like about the Beta is that the volume lowers when you set it below a certain speed, cannot stand loud volume blasting out while trying to concentrate in town traffic. Glad you remined me about Earth being brown on VW's.
Thanks Alex
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

That’s the GALA functionality. It only really takes effect when you are going 50+ and it’s turned up on the settings