Polo 2002 9N troubles..

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
timenuke
New
Drives: 2002 1.4 16v

Polo 2002 9N troubles..

Post by timenuke »

Soo I have bought a second hand polo manual 2002 1.4 16V SE Polo (5D) low millage too (85000)

I have done quite a lot of work on the car since I bought it, I'm no trained expert nor have a lot of knowledge about the car, lots of the work I have done was from watching YouTube video and manuals!!! Plus a train mechanic for the difficult bits.

1) Started off having a bad miss firing issue & have changed the four ingiton coils including spark plugs but still got a shaky engine when I start the car and goes away when the engine warm. I can see the driver side mount is brand new, along with a new alternator(shocked as they are pricey)& belt as well.

But while changing the clutch I looked at the gear box mount underneath the car & that's looks okay for now, however I'm not confident that the passenger side mount is any good now(might replace that), changed the clutch (pressure plate, clutch disk & clutch release baring)
Also I got a small leak underneath the car between the oil slump and the driveshaft, can't locate the problem. (not a puddle leak but oil seeping out)

2) On the rear side of the car i have changed:
the rear silencers due to rusting on the headshield, done suspension change + including shock absorber

3) now to interior, change my radio to aftermarket double din stereo including the front two speakers with standard jbl ones at the moment, was thinking of putting a amp inside the car but can't find a suitable place to feed the wire from the engine to inside of the car (no visible grommets in engine bay) any ideas where to feed it though?

4) And on of the passnager side, I also have a locking issue, on my key fob I press the lock button once and everything locks, but when I press the lock button twice everything dead locks apart from the passnager door which unlocks instead,

5) I have done a simple service (pollen filter, sparks, ignition, bulbs) going to do the petrol and oil filter sometime soon(got the parts laying around) I have changed the brakes to bremo disks oem and ate oem pads.
If there anything i should have a look at or anything that the polo prone to suffer from.
Cheers :D
(edit: hope this is easier to read)
Last edited by timenuke on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Polo 2002 9N troubles..

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome!

Could I ask you to put each problem on a seperate line. I cant actually work out whats an issue and what isnt :shock:
timenuke
New

Post by timenuke »

alexperkins wrote:Welcome!

Could I ask you to put each problem on a seperate line. I cant actually work out whats an issue and what isnt :shock:
I hope you are able to figure it out now, if not I slim it down

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Much easier

1 - Clean the throttle body and align it, and change the air filter, Id do the fuel filter too. Oil leak could be gearbox oil or engine oil - gearbox oil has a sweet smell compared

2 - Good

3 - There should be a grommet behind the ABS pump glovebox side you can pass a wire through

4 - Thats normally due to a fault in the passenger door lock mechanism. It probably needs to be replaced

5 - sensible. Get your air filter and fuel filter (plus oil and filter change) done as soon as

You've covered most of the important bits off. Just a case of looking after it.

The front console bushes where the wishbones go into the chassis have a habit of failing on these, so keep an eye to them
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I had a gremlin in my electrics the other day. The front window winders at the driver's door seem to have reversed with the n/s and o/s windows moving when the opposite control was operated. On touching each switch the wrong window went straight down. Very strange. I could not play around with it further to find out what exactly was going on because I was driving at the time. Cannot think what might have caused this. The only thing I noticed was it was a warm humid morning. I was going to disconnect the battery to reset everything but It cleared and resumed to normal later in the day.
timenuke
New

Post by timenuke »

alexperkins wrote:Much easier

1 - Clean the throttle body and align it, and change the air filter, Id do the fuel filter too. Oil leak could be gearbox oil or engine oil - gearbox oil has a sweet smell compared

2 - Good

3 - There should be a grommet behind the ABS pump glovebox side you can pass a wire through

4 - Thats normally due to a fault in the passenger door lock mechanism. It probably needs to be replaced

5 - sensible. Get your air filter and fuel filter (plus oil and filter change) done as soon as

You've covered most of the important bits off. Just a case of looking after it.

The front console bushes where the wishbones go into the chassis have a habit of failing on these, so keep an eye to them
1)I have found the source of the leak, driveshaft was a sweet lighter colour compared to the engine oil - how ever I beleve due to messing with breaks - clutch its has become over filled :( need to empty that ASAp-
how would I align the throttle body and go about cleaning it thanks

4) Iwas hoping for a quick fix with the passnager side but guess need to shell out more haha

3) I will look for that grommet today, gonna rewire my new stero as I bought a new android radio including front and rear camera

Any one got any good sites for buying parts online, I do use car euro but they only got a limited amount of stock

timenuke
New

Post by timenuke »

littlepolo wrote:I had a gremlin in my electrics the other day. The front window winders at the driver's door seem to have reversed with the n/s and o/s windows moving when the opposite control was operated. On touching each switch the wrong window went straight down. Very strange. I could not play around with it further to find out what exactly was going on because I was driving at the time. Cannot think what might have caused this. The only thing I noticed was it was a warm humid morning. I was going to disconnect the battery to reset everything but It cleared and resumed to normal later in the day.
Haha, well when I first bought the car, I had trouble with locks they were stuck in the unlock position with the windows down and every time we tried to start the car the alarm went off and that lasted for a few minutes, but apparently hasn't happen again just seems to be passnager door getting the s**t [emoji23]

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

littlepolo wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:39 am I had a gremlin in my electrics the other day. The front window winders at the driver's door seem to have reversed with the n/s and o/s windows moving when the opposite control was operated. On touching each switch the wrong window went straight down. Very strange. I could not play around with it further to find out what exactly was going on because I was driving at the time. Cannot think what might have caused this. The only thing I noticed was it was a warm humid morning. I was going to disconnect the battery to reset everything but It cleared and resumed to normal later in the day.
I'm not sure if you have noticed, but there has been a bit of that going on with Fabia/Polo/Ibiza of that sort of age - reason, I can't say though, maybe use search function on all these 3 forums.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

littlepolo wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:39 am I had a gremlin in my electrics the other day. The front window winders at the driver's door seem to have reversed with the n/s and o/s windows moving when the opposite control was operated. On touching each switch the wrong window went straight down. Very strange. I could not play around with it further to find out what exactly was going on because I was driving at the time. Cannot think what might have caused this. The only thing I noticed was it was a warm humid morning. I was going to disconnect the battery to reset everything but It cleared and resumed to normal later in the day.
Our 02 Polo does this occasionally - I did ask the same question on 17 May (still on the forum front page),thus far I have not worried about it too much as it has been occasional/intermittant and seemed to clear after switching off electrics.

Occasional/intermittant electric window glitch :)
Post by bvs » Thu May 17, 2018 10:12 am

Our Polo has electric front windows and just occasionally the 2 switches on the drivers door operate the wrong window,basically if I press the RH switch - the LH window goes down and vice versa the LH switch operates the RH window LOL - 5 mins later all is ok :?
98% of the time the windows operate ok and so far the windows have all operated in the correct 'sense' so I was wondering if it might be a module problem ??
I have googled it but may have been using the wrong search term as I did not get any similar problem coming up.