Front discs and pads

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Front discs and pads

Post by RUM4MO »

An aftermarket company called BigRed can't say if that is the correct spelling, do sell kits I think by mail order.

It was only in recent years that I've lub'd the guide pins and with silicon grease as copper grease will cause the rubber damper bushes to swell in time.

Prior to that I'd only ever use a green pad to scrub the guide pins then spray them with brake cleaner etc and repeated until they were looking clean.

Edit:- http://biggred.co.uk/
JohnMcClaane
New
Drives: 2002 Polo 1.4

Post by JohnMcClaane »

I was very lucky and just managed to be in time for eurocarparts weekend 37% off sale.
Bought all 4 discs, ventilated - Bosch and all pads also from Bosch, with a spray can of copper grease for £156.
Bank holiday Monday next week will be Brake Holiday Monday for me :)
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

tempted to get a full set all around for my 1.9 tdi, comes to 117 for brakes, pads (bremos) and fluid from ECP/CP4L
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

The front nearside squeak has returned so I've ordered a Brake Caliper Repair Kit from Big Red.

The front calipers are stamped FS-III which I've learned is ATE (Alfred Teves) of Germany. Fortunately, the kit is the cheapest of the three options (the others being Lucas and BEN) at £13.95 for both sides. The part no is BRK205214.

Hope the mild weather continues and I can find sufficient motivation.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Wait a minute, I've always considered that FS111 was a "Lucas" calliper, the ATE (Teves) calliper was only used on the cars with the 288mm discs and the calliper+calliper carrier+mounting bracket+hub, what you will have is a calliper+calliper carrier/mounting+hub.

Now, I could be wrong there, but I don't think so - your car will have the 256mm front discs.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Hum, I might have tried confusing you and myself there as I posted back 2014 that I thought that they were Girling but had discovered elsewhere that they might be ATE!!!!!

Still undecided!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I could not figure it out either so I sent some photos of the caliper to Big Red and they said I need the ATE kit.

I'll soon find out if they fit or not...
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

It is a bit annoying when you can't find out for sure, I do know that the front callipers on my old Passat were ATE, and the same callipers on my wife's new Polo are ATE, and the rear callipers with the handbrake built in on both these cars I mentioned are Lucas - though now TRW as Lucas has gone, but not good info on the FS111 callipers!!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Well, the seal kit did fit so they must be ATE calipers.

When I removed the wheel I found some scoring and wear on the discs indicating that the f n/s brake had been binding. On disassembly there was still some grease on the slide pins (unlike last time). Popped the piston out and found longitudinal scoring on the underside and fine particles in the fluid - possibly from a deteriorating hose? I don't think the fluid was ever flushed as per schedule but doubt that would have cleared the bore of debris.

Anyway, it looks like debris got into the cylinder and might have caused friction when the brakes warmed up and expanded. Removed the caliper to the bench to clean it up and refit the piston with the new seal. It was a fiddle at first but found a way to do it after a while. Fit seal over piston and slide down to near bottom so that the seal is opened out. Let the caliper seal end hang over the edge of the piston holding the piston with the piston seal end and then drop the caliper seal end into the caliper, keeping it central, then drop the piston into the bore pushing down the seal into the groove.

I expect the problem might recur at some point because it was not really a problem with the seal but debris in the bore and scoring on the piston itself. Perhaps a coincidence it occurred when I fitted the new front discs and pads earlier this year.

Edit: A quick inspection of the rear brakes indicates pads down to about 3mm. I'm hoping they'll last the winter. Big Red have a service kit for the rear calipers which they say should overcome the problem of being unable to rewind the piston to change the pads. I imagine that will require benchwork to get the old pistons out and replace with new parts.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Sounds like good progress LP :)