Front discs and pads

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Front discs and pads

Post by RUM4MO »

I suppose Febi is a good brand and an OEM for VW Group for some products, possibly not a brake pad supplier to factory though. These spring clips are just retaining clips though they might have some affect on if the pads cause squeaking, the anti squeal shims get mounted on the pad steel backing and are normally clamped in place by these springs were they exist - they just look like a thin plate fixed to the rear of the pad steel backing. Luckily, I think, these spring clips are different sizes/pitches so it should force you into fitting the correct one into the calliper piston and the correct one into the fixed side of the calliper.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

The spring clips were different sizes for sure. It was an effort to get the pad onto the piston and that's the one that is skewed at the moment. Going to have a closer look in the morning.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

What’s your engine code and year?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

1.4 BBY (auto) 2002 (Sept)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

The skewing is not just the taper that the new friction material has on it?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Definitely not the taper.

Removed and checked over the front brake assemblies this morning. Looks like corrosion build up on the caliper might have been restricting movement of the pads and causing the inner pad to get stuck at an angle. Cleaned up both offside and nearside caliper and refitted. Seemed a lot better but after a drive at highway speeds offside started making a noise again. When I got to my destination I found that a lot of heat was being given off suggesting the brakes are binding. I felt it needed extra gas when driving too. Could it be a sticky piston?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

The febi ones you shouldve bought are 16482 - they have a wear indicator fitted

The ones you have are for the non wear indicator version, albeit they will fit no problem

Have you put copper grease on the carrier mounting area for the pads, the backs of the pads, and grease the slide pins?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Thanks for the correct part number.

If I can solve the problem with 16044's I'll leave them in for now.

Nope. No grease used. Is that likely the issue? If yes I can strip down again and grease them.

EDIT: having said that the problem is on one side only.
Last edited by littlepolo on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yes, definitely grease it all up. Slide pins need a high temperature grease/CV joint grease, copper grease for the carrier pad area and the backs of the pads

That is likely your issue
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Thanks. Will do and report back.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Stripped down again and could not see any issues.

Cleaned and greased as suggested above and put back together.

Cannot see how it made any difference but so far it is a lot better.

Slight chirp from offside on braking from low speeds.

Reckon it will settle down as the new pads and discs bed in.

Thanks for all help and suggestions.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Hope they are ok now LP !

Over the years - Sometimes I have had to 'clean up' the edges of replacement pads to remove any 'flash' or 'excess' material from the edges of the metal backing so that they slide freely within the Brake Caliper,I changed the rear discs/pads on our Daughters Hyundai i20 last weekend.On the LHS I only had to file off the usual 'flash' to get the pads to sit nicely in the carriers but on the RHS (O/S) I had to actually file the metal backing plate to the correct shape LOL.On this car the pads sit in a thin stainless steel lightweight cage and would not fit in unless the correct shape :D .
Other than that I liked the design of the rear brakes,just like my old Volvo 244 and 262 - the rear discs have a built in drum so that the handbrake is completely independent with its own brake shoes.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Perhaps I admire the way that Korean etc manufacturers design small cars with incredibly small disc brakes front and rear - and now you are saying that the small rear discs have drums in them, that is okay as long as you do inspect them shoes every few years as they certainly should never wear out and need replacing. I had that system on my VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4, I had look in there once over the 8 years I owned it.

These light weight stainless steel contact pads/springs, they were, I thought, a good idea though I always removed they cleaned their surfaces and the calliper carrier surface they sat on, that was on my old 2000 VW Passat 4Motion and my wife's old 2002 Polo 1.4 SE, now it looks like VW Group have dropped that idea on the 9C Polos at least, I suppose that I could always buy a set from the 9N Polo and see if they fitted without filling down the calliper carrier a bit - no real reason for thinking of doing that other than the quest to change things where possible to "my way" where/if I think that it would make a difference, that is all.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Brakes seem to be settling down now with just some minor noises occasionally.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

The earlier problem with the offside front cleared after stripping and lubricating parts as suggested.

I noticed a bit of a squeal from the nearside and heat being given off compared to the offside. There had been no problem on this side earlier. Stripped down to find the high temperature grease had mostly gone from the pins. Cleaned and lubed again with copper slip and h/t grease. All good for a short while then a bit of squeaking again. Nowhere near as much as before. Will keep a watch.

Could this be due to a sticky piston/caliper? If yes would a repair kit (piston and seal) be available?

EDIT: I guess the flexible hose is another possibility?