Coolant flush and refill

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Coolant flush and refill

Post by littlepolo »

I have some genuine VW coolant from TPS and plan to drain/flush/refill soon. The Polo is now 16 year old. It has a recent new thermostat. When I do the coolant change would it be worthwhile to replace the radiator top/bottom hoses?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Coolant flush and refill

Post by alexperkins »

There is little point replacing the hoses if they are looking ok - no visible cracking or excessive wear

My Mk2 Golf GTI from 1991 still has a number of its original hoses in perfect working order
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Coolant flush and refill

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that at some time in the past, radiator hoses needed replacing every few years, I missed the fact that things had improved maybe by the modish 90’s and replaced all the steel pipes and rubber hoses on my wife’s old 1994/5 Fiesta SI, that job cost me serious money, so as Alex says, only replace if any are looking dodgy. Another interesting fact, that Fiesta was okay until I dumped the coolant, and changed all the coolant pipe work and flushed it out a few times, then water started pouring out through the water pump bearing seal, that meant, as I was busy at work, wife needed to get it down to a good local Ford garage for another cam belt change along with a new water pump, that was a bit of preventative maintenance that went very wrong!