MOT preparedness (Rear position lamp)

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

MOT preparedness (Rear position lamp)

Post by littlepolo »

Previous advisory:

001 Rear position lamp(s) has light source not illuminating, but not more than 50% Nearside Rear Upper
001 Rear position lamp(s) has light source not illuminating, but not more than 50% Offside Rear Upper

Does this mean the rear bulbs behind the red lens need replacing?

Also noticed a slight deterioration of the turn signal bulbs with orange felt tip colouring peeling off. Can I get these at Halfords, TPS, etc.?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: MOT preparedness (Rear position lamp)

Post by alexperkins »

TPS for all the bulbs - way way cheaper than halfords (or anywhere else Ive found for that matter)

Yes, sounds like the sidelight bulbs need replacing
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: MOT preparedness (Rear position lamp)

Post by RUM4MO »

I don’t think that TPS, in general, wants to deal with anyone not connected to the motor trade professionally, so I’d think that you will have to suffer dealing with Halfords.
I’d think that your bulbs will have turned black, some maybe remove the clusters and get the backs off and plug them back in and check them all.
Orange coated bulbs - I have always checked all these bulbs before every MOT because the coating peels off quite quickly I thought that there was one bulb maker that made these bulbs out of orange glass, but I have never managed to find them!