Sump gasket replacement

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Euler2
New
Drives: 9N 1.4 TDI AMF 2003

Sump gasket replacement

Post by Euler2 »

Hello

I haven't posted for a while looking for advice, but here goes.
I have a 2003 1.4 TDI AMF and have had the car from new. I have noticed that the sump is leaking oil from the gasket. I believe it is a paste type gasket, however my main concern is, do I have to remove the gearbox on this model as this is what the Haynes manual says to gain full access for removal, or is there any other way around it. I have always done most work myself but dread a gearbox removal.

Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Sump gasket replacement

Post by alexperkins »

Pretty sure this can be done with the gearbox in situ. Two of the bolts are very difficult to access though as they are accessed through holes in the gearbox housing where it meets the block
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Sump gasket replacement

Post by littlepolo »

You can find my experience of doing this job on a petrol 1.4 in my thread history.

There are indeed two bolts on the rear of the sump adjacent to the drive shaft that are tricky to access. If I recall correctly I removed the top engine mount and jacked of the engine (also removed the drive coupling bolts and dropped the shaft a bit - though you might get away without that). I cut down an allen key (short side) to squeeze it through the gap and used a tube as a lever. There are three bolts adjacent the transmission housing that are awkward to access too (one or two in particular as they are blind and at an angle). I used a good quality (long) ball-end allen key with a handle. It's quite a fiddle and then when you put the gasket material on and offer the sump back an extra pair of hands will help. Make sure you use some good solid axle stands to secure the car. Check and clean the oil strainer while you have the sump off. Use the correct gasket material and only a 1-2mm bead (if I recall) else it can get into the oil ways.