Help with stereo please!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
nic_sh
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 diesel

Help with stereo please!

Post by nic_sh »

Hey guys, new to the forums here and really hoping for a little help! I have a 2003 Polo and would like to fit a Pioneer MVH-X580DAB. I’m just checking that I’ve got everything I need and so far I have....
Removal keys
Autoleads FP-17-03 Car Audio Single DIN Facia Adaptor
Autoleads PC2-69-4 Car Audio Harness Adaptor Lead
DynamicSounds Pioneer AN-DAB1 Glass Mount DAB Digital Car Radio Aerial Antenna

I think I’ll need one of these but not sure which?
Autoleads PC5-137 Car Audio Aerial Adaptor Lead for Fakra to DIN
Or
Autoleads PC5-90 Car Audio Aerial Adaptor Lead for Signal Separation ISO to DIN

Is it a relatively straight forward job? Or would you advise an amateur to pay a garage to do it professionally?

Cheers, N
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Help with stereo please!

Post by RUM4MO »

Most modern DAB radios come with an SMB male connector on their rear, so you need a SMB female connector on the end of your aerial lead.

Now, that aerial you are buying looks like it has a female SMB on the end of its lead, I checked the similar Pioneer aerial on the Pioneer website but they do not include the lead end terminal type on their spec, in fact not much on their spec!

Fakra is just SMB connector with a plastic locking cover on it, so if the radio does not have Fakra and the aerial lead does not have Fakra, I'd not bother, I think that Fakra was introduced to offer a rough environment a means to lock two sides of a connector together.

I have only just worked this out after taking on retro fitting a DAB Audi (used) radio to my Audi without DAB.

Edit:- as you will no doubt know, the aerial you are buying has an amplifier built into it, some or most radios will supply the amplifier's power up the aerial lead, for others, without this power feed you need to connect the power feed to the radio's power point.
nic_sh
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 diesel

Re: Help with stereo please!

Post by nic_sh »

Thank you for your help! I didn’t realise that about Fakra. Guess I’ll just wait for the new stereo to turn up and check the connector type!! Thanks again for your help.
Cheers, N