New rear calipers (ATP?) / Febi discs

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

New rear calipers (ATP?) / Febi discs

Post by littlepolo »

I need to replace the discs and pads as well as rear calipers on my 20002 9n.

I found some ATP calipers on eBay (sourced from Germany) and the eBay fitting guide indicates they will fit but there is a code 1KK, 1KT as below.

For PR number: 1KK,1KT; Fitting Position: Rear axle VW Polo 2002 9N_ [2001-2009] Hatchback Hatchback 1.4 16V 1390ccm 75HP 55KW
(Petrol)

Firstly, are ATP any good (they are quite a bit cheaper than other brands)?

Secondly, how can I confirm if the 1KK/1KT code applies to my vehicle?

Would TRW BHN275 be a better (albeit more expensive)alternative?

Is the Febi product code 18488 correct for rear discs?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: New rear calipers (ATP?) / Febi discs

Post by RUM4MO »

I've forgotten the PR code for the rear disc brakes on a 2002 Polo 1.4 16V BBY, sold the car 3 years ago, but, it is TRW that now manufactures these Lucas callipers, have you checked places like ECP for exchange callipers, ie rebuilds branded as Pagid(I think) - I only ever used Pagid front and rear discs on that car as ECP sell them at a good price, and Pagid or Textar pads as that was what was fitted at the factory.

Edit:- I was going to direct you to a VW Group parts catalogue website, but it seems that something has happened to both the catalogue sites I use, I'm guessing that VW Group has moved in and stopped them operating, which is silly as most people only used these sites to get part numbers then go and order the parts at a VW Group dealership or buy on ebay, so what was the issue?!!

There is a VW Group Germany based dealership that had a parts listing visible to the public, but I can't find it right now, all these genuine and copies of genuine parts listings do indicate PR Codes were relevant, and if you find a friendly VW dealership, you can ask them to print you out a listing of all the PR Codes relevant to that car, it is called CAR DATA hand them over your VIN - I finally did that for my wife's current Polo an August 2015 1.2TSI 110PS SEL, this is the second time that I've asked for this, first time at the other branch of this dealership and the parts guy did not have a clue what I was talking about. This time, I knew or hoped that the old parts guy was still working there - he was but looked a bit confused when I asked about this as not many people ask for it, then started on about confidentially etc and that I would need to provide proof of ownership - then the younger guy next to him said "is it the list of the PR codes you want?" I said "yes" and they printed off a copy for me, it is an option on one of the sheets on their parts look up system Ekta - when I appeared out of the printer it had CAR DATA on the front of it, so nothing has changed over the past 15 years!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

If you can hold fire till Monday, when I’m back at work I’ll check the callipers and pads for you

I would use TRW over ATP
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Thanks RUM4MO, I've found some suppliers offering exchange prices with/without a deposit. I've seen the TRW's for £90 outright so that's not so bad.

Thanks Alex, I'm in no hurry. I thought you might lean towards TRW and I'm OK with that (didn't want ATP arriving from Germany and then finding the quality is not great).
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

You could have a look in the boot, beneath the carpet, so see if there is a sticker with your VIN ,engine code, gearbox code and PR codes on it. It should mention your rear brake PR code as well.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

The sticker is in the boot as well as the vehicle's user guide. The codes 1KK or 1KT are not printed, which is strange because it does have Disc brakes in rear (1KK BAH) or possibly Disc brakes in rear (Geomet D) (1KT) as indicated in vag-codes.info.

I checked the codes that are listed (1MR, G1A, J1L, etc) and none of them refer to brakes.

Anyway, it looks like the above Febi discs are correct for this vehicle. Just need to confirm the caliper.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've always found the Build Data Sheet stuck to the cars a bit short of useful data, which is why I always get a CAR DATA printout from a dealership's parts department.

Edit:- I get the impression that Geomet is just the silvery coating that all or most new discs come with now, as will Pagid and maybe other brands of aftermarket discs, it holds back some of the unsightly corrosion during the discs working life.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Febi 18488 for the discs

As for the calipers, it def is a PR applicable code on this. Pads are also PR specific

Without your reg or chassis number I cant validate what you do or dont have - PM me and we can sort it out.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

PM sent
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I have some Febi disks on the slow boat from a well known online business.

As for the calipers, a seller on the well known auction site has suggested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRW-Brake-Ca ... 43e2d9c6c3

- VOLKSWAGEN : 6Q0615423A

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRW-Brake-Ca ... 43e2d9c6e6

- VOLKSWAGEN : 6Q0615424A

Are these OK or are there any better options?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I’ll check the Cali per PNs today as I’m going down to TPS :)