Oil light lit very dim yellow even while turned off!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
marshall2810
New
Drives: 2002 Polo E 1.2

Oil light lit very dim yellow even while turned off!

Post by marshall2810 »

Hi all just come back to a polo after a few years out. Found a bit of a project 9N to play with. I have a very dim yellow oil can light on dash that is there all the time even when car us off and keys are out. No noises or anything and oil level is good. I imagine it's a faulty sensor maybe? Can anyone help?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Oil light lit very dim yellow even while turned off!

Post by RUM4MO »

The first thing that I would do is to take the wire off the oil pressure switch and see if that stops it, if so, replace the oil pressure switch.
marshall2810
New

Post by marshall2810 »

Thanks for your reply RUM4MO, oil pressure switch changed today and still have the very dim light on dash. Even when the car is turned off and keys removed, very odd but beginning to think i may have to live with it
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

is the light illuminated with the oil pressure switch disconnected?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

What year is your Polo?

Mine is 2002 and on occasion I've had electric gremlins. Just this morning the rear fog lamp warning light came on when I switched on the side lights.
marshall2810
New

Post by marshall2810 »

Yes it is lit but even when the sensor is unplugged. It is very dim and not luke the proper lit light when you turn the ignition to start. A friend had suggested it may be an watching problem but I have no idea how or where to peruse that. Very frustrating
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd guess that it will be an issue with soldering of contacts on the dash board pod.

On that "dimly lit light" theme, my wife's previous 2002 Polo ended up with a light being on in its Gamma radio when the ignition key was removed - I ignored that - maybe the red LED.

Edit:- in case that you didn't know, on modern cars, that oil light switch is not just connected directly to a bulb - or as in this case, an LED, it will be linked into the engine's ECU so that low pressure warnings can be handed out if and when necessary - and this controller will control the state of the oil warning light.
marshall2810
New

Post by marshall2810 »

Thanks for the explanation. On that basis I may try and reset the ECU to see if that clears it
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Did you have any luck with this problem?

I've had a recurrence of gremlins in my 2002. Last night the fog lamp warning started glowing dimly when I put on the sidelights. Got out to have a look at the rear lamps and the left hand position light was on, the right was not, and the fog lamp was on! The warning lamp was pulsing - glowing dimply then brighter. It seems to happen more often when there is moisture in the air. Almost as interesting as my power windows crossing over left to right and going in the opposite way when I pressed the button.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe you need to remove that rear cluster and check it over for moisture ingress or general nastiness?

Edit:- I've forgotten, does the rear fog light use the same bulb as the normal rear light, ie a twin element bulb, one element for each function, probably not!