Side mirror control strange bahaviour

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
ovimunt
New
Drives: VW Polo Twist 1.4L Petrol 3D Auto (2004)

Side mirror control strange bahaviour

Post by ovimunt »

I recently bought a used VW Polo Twist (2004) in very good condition throught and through, but for a couple of minor issues, one of which is the strange (I think) behaviour of the side mirror control: when I set the control to the right hand side mirror and try to adjust it, both the right hand side AND the left hand side mirrors move (which I find unusual), whereas when I set the control to the left hand side mirror and try to adjust it, only the left hand side mirror moves (as I would expect).

Could anyone confirm if that's how it's meant to behave or if there is something wrong? The worst thing I fear is a short circuit somewhere so I would like to find out sooner rather than later if something is wrong indeed.

Many thanks!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Side mirror control strange bahaviour

Post by RUM4MO »

No that is how they are meant to operate, to make setting them up easier I think!

Edit:- I've lost the VW logic behind it, I think that all VW Group cars are still doing that, though I have not noticed either of our current cars doing it, so maybe I'm adjusting them in the manner that avoids that annoying trait!
Per_Norrgren
New
Drives: 9N 2002 1.2 64Hp

Post by Per_Norrgren »

2002 9N and my one is doing it as well.
but for some reason it is only now and then.
Likewise, the auto closing of front windows (when you do an initial longer press) is also now and then.
a few times I have not been able to close either front windows but it sorted itself after a few stop/starts.

very strange indeed.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Ovimunt - On our 2002 Polo 1.4 16v,both mirrors have absolutely independent control,thus far we have had no probs with the L+R mirror adjust (very carefully stated LOL).

We get the occasional glitch with the front elec windows - occasionally the operating sense of the driver door switches seems to reverse (ie left switch controls right window and vice versa) - then next day (thus far) all back to normal (weird) :mrgreen:
ovimunt
New
Drives: VW Polo Twist 1.4L Petrol 3D Auto (2004)

Post by ovimunt »

Many thanks for your responses, it's really appreciated! :)
casper
New
Drives: Polo 9N ASZ

Post by casper »

My Polo, also right hand drive (as I am in South Africa) adjust the left mirror, when set to left, but also adjusts the left mirror when se to right. I have to manually adjust the right wing mirror. As far as the windows are concerned, I have never had the occasional switch as mentioned above, however, I have seen that on specific times, for example when the car was already switched off (engined killed after driving), the auto up doesn't work. I have not yet completely figured out precisely when the auto open/close does not work. I also don't have a owners manual, so I cannot read up on it.
lawrencebrame
New
Drives: 9n

Post by lawrencebrame »

My window controls switch sides too, confused the f*#k out of me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk