car shakes when engaging low gears

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
noamgrn
New
Drives: 9n

car shakes when engaging low gears

Post by noamgrn »

Hey,
My polo 9n 2004 (manual transmission) is shaking when I'm engaging low gears - mainly 1st-3rd. The vibration happens only immediately after the gear is engaged, and can be avoided or attenuated by maintaining high RPM (>2000). the problem happens both on acceleration and deceleration (when I'm "braking" by shifting to lower gears).

my dealer says it can be a clutch problem, but he's not sure because it's not a "classic" presentation. any Ideas?

thanks!
JoeGellar
New
Drives: Polo 53 9n BBY 1.4 petrol

Re: car shakes when engaging low gears

Post by JoeGellar »

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM ANOTHER FORUM REGARDING A BMW E39, SO ITS ONLY FAIR I ACKNOWLEDGE THE AUTHOR OF THE TEXT.
ALL CREDIT TO Jeep Cherokee Rescue Society

ALTHOUGH YOUR CAR ISN'T A E39 TECHNICALLY ITS A BMW OR VW WHICHEVER WAY YOU WANT TO LOOK AT IT.

"Sounds like it's possibly involved with the transmission and/or clutch.

But first, I would check all the heat shielding on the car to make sure that's not a factor. When the transmission is engaged (when the clutch is not depressed) it can cause some NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) that will cause nearby heat shields to rattle and make it sound like a transmission problem. Once you've confirmed your Catalytic converter or exhaust heat shields are secured and/or not rattling, there are a few things that could be the case.

Throwout Bearing Failure
Clutch release fork is loose/worn out/misadjusted
Clutch diaphragm springs damaged/worn/bent/loose
Clutch hub springs loose/worn/damaged/broken (I don't think the E39 has these but I wanted to cover this for other readers who may have the same question)
The important thing is to isolate the sound to exactly your transmission. Loose heatshields and other motive parts can cause sounds and NVH can make it sound like it's coming from a different location.

Good luck!"