1.4 16v Fuel Filter replacement

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

1.4 16v Fuel Filter replacement

Post by bvs »

Finally getting round to changing our Fuel Filter on 2002 Polo 1.4 16v (new filter should arrive today).
Other than removing the Fuse prior to diconnecting the fuel lines - any hints or tips ?
I am still a little unclear on how to disconnect the fuel lines - squeeze the connector and then pull ? - if all else fails can I just lever carefully off with a screwdriver ?

Anybody confirm Fuse number ?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 1.4 16v Fuel Filter replacement

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry, I never got round to doing that, have all the parts assembled though, ie new regulator and new filter and a correct pipe/connector repair kit - just in case, car was traded in over 3 years ago.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

OK - done this afternoon :)
Our car has the 3 x Fuel connector type, so it was just a case of...

(1) Remove Fuse 41 (to disable fuel pump and to dissipate any fuel pressure in the fuel lines)

(2) Start engine and wait for it to cut out (Fuel pump not running - therefore fuel pipe empties out - dissipates fuel pressure)

(3) Each connector has a little 'push in' tab - so push in tab with small screwdriver and then gently wiggle the pipe(s) off the filter body.
I left one pipe connected until I had loosened the mounting screw - just to make removal easier.

(4) Undo the mounting screw and slide the filter body out.

Reassembly with new filter was simply the reverse of the removal procedure.

(5) I then refitted Fuse 41 and turned on IGN to check that the fuel pump runs (audible),had a look under car and no signs of any leaks from the disturbed fuel connectors.

(6) Started engine and checked again under the car for any leaks - no problems apparent so took the old girl for a drive :)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good, so what you bought was a later filter-regulator assembly, if had been positive about this job I would have done it while we owned that car, I even bought a special pair of pliers to depress that sort of fuel pipe connection!

There were just so many stories about which filter to buy when I started considering this job, then I worked out that unless you were very lucky, only replacing the filter section would not work as the regulator body was so rusted up, then I bought a regulator to fit to my new filter, and then a pipe connector repair kit - and then bottled it as my wife used that car every day!
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

I was lucky in that I could read the Mahle part number on the filter body and just ordered the direct equivalent,bloody awkward little job,I forgot to mention that I jacked up the car at the O/S rear which made it easier (or at least less tricky) for access.

rgds baz
Last edited by bvs on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Now that you mention it - the old filter did have a removable valvey type thing on one end - perhaps the regulator ?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, I think that there was lots of confusion amongst DIYers at the beginning, then eventually VW Group dropped the idea of having a fuel filter and a fuel regulator, and ended up only supplying a fuel filter+regulator combo, which sounds like what you bought. The fuel filter would only have one pipe connection - the other end would have an open end which mated to the open ended regulator with an O-ring seal between them and they were clamped together with a large spring retainer, the regulator having two pipe connections.

All I can say is lucky you doing this job at this point in time well after the confusion period had passed.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I've been dithering on this job for some time and probably need to get on with it due to the age of the Polo (16+).

One of the reasons the work has not progressed is every time I try to find the correct part there is a bewildering choice.

BVS where did you get your replacement filter assembly from?
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Hi LP
You may be able to do a visual check under the car to confirm the reqd Part Number and type of filter fitted,the filter is just in front of the O/Side rear wheel,I checked under our car and was lucky to be able to actually read off the part number.
If you have the same type as me (with 3x pipe conns) it is a Mahle KL 176/6 (or equiv).

The Mahle stuff seems good quality and (may) still be made in Europe

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mahle-Fuel-F ... :rk:2:pf:0

rgds baz
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes Mahle is good stuff, it and Mann get used a lot.

Now here is a strange thing, I'm guessing that that filter has been replaced already as VW only used China made fuel filters at the factory during this build period, and the manufacturer was UFI ! Even the regulator used at factory was made in China, so probably again by UFI.

The boxes that I have for the spare parts I bought and never used also have VW Group packaging and include Made in China, ie original genuine VW parts as bought from my VW dealer.

So going by what I have, if it is an original filter + regulator assembly, it will have 6Q0 201 511 written on the filter section, when coupled to a regulator it becomes a filter + regulator assembly with either a p/n 6Q0 201 051 or 6Q0 201 051A depending on whither it has been connected to a 3Bar regulator or a 4Bar regulator.

Now LP, I think that a lot of time has passed since we first discussed this and now VW Group only offer a filter+regulator combination as a service replacement, and it could be that you need an assembly with a 3Bar regulator, see if that ties in with what Mahle say in their website for the p/n given by bvs.

Edit:- remember, if needed the pipe connector repair kit for these pipes is 6Q0 298 260.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

LP + bvs, in the link to the Mahle website, Opie oils is advertising and showing a filter only, that item and its Mahle p/n refers to a filter that comes without a pressure regulator, described as "W/O relief", what anyone replacing that filter now needs is a combined filter regulator 3Bar and that is Mahle p/n KL 156/1.

If you look at the picture you can only see a two pipe stubs, one at each end and what is hidden on the other end is a large opening which is where the pressure regulator fits into, and that pressure regulator has the third pipe.

Edited!

Another Edit:- stuff that number I've given, ie Mahle KL 156/1 into ebay and you will find some being sold a lot cheaper than Opie oil is for that item.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Thanks for the additional info Rum,I had not actually used a Mahle because I got hold of a Mann (made in china LOL) whilst I was near ECP in Perth,amazing how such a simple little thing can be so complicated isn't it ?

rgds baz
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Sorry forgot to say - the Filter I actually fitted to our car is a Mann WK69/2 which is definitely a one piece assembly !
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Now we really are giving Little Polo the idea that things are still a bit confusing when it comes to replacing this filter, though I agree with you this time either the Mann part number you posted above or the Meyle part number I posted before that will do nicely!

I wonder if the Meyle version is also made in China - probably, just a UFI part rebranded to suit us Europeans who would never buy a Chinese made part, well it looks like we buy these Chinese made parts or buy nothing in this case!