Inner rods Or Rack

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Euler2
New
Drives: 9N 1.4 TDI AMF 2003

Inner rods Or Rack

Post by Euler2 »

I have a 2003 9N 1.4 TDI AMF.

I have excessive tyre wear on both the inside and outside of both front tyres.
When turning slowly over a bumpy surface a slight knocking noise can be heard.
I lifted the front of the car off the floor and wobbled the left wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and it clunks more than usual, and I did the same with the other side and it also shows the same. I can see the tie rods moving.
However I also noticed that while checking each wheel the other side seemed to slightly move on the other side at the same time.
If I do the test with only one wheel off the ground it does not move. I also changed the drivers side inner and outer tie rods 2 years ago.

Is this a steering rack problem (no dashboard lights and OBD2 shows nothing) or is it both inner and outer tie rods need changing (please be latter).

Advice appreciated.

Yours thankfully

Euler
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Inner rods Or Rack

Post by RUM4MO »

Possibly the inner joints, I have only tried checking that with the wheels on the ground and engine off, then try rocking the steering wheel from side to side, if there is any slack in any of these joints you will hear a knocking noise.

It took an MOT advisory to get me to check them, and replace them, by the way, if this is where the wear is, it is often cheaper buying rod+track rod ends kits rather than buying rods them buying TREs. Aftermarket much cheaper than VW, original steering gear will be TRW.