power steering module

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
samwoolf
New
Drives: 2003

power steering module

Post by samwoolf »

My 2003 polo has developed an intermittent fault where the power steering light comes on and the steering goes heavy. The garage tells me it needs a new power steering control module, and I am trying to source a second hand one, as the new one costs about the same as the car value.
I phoned around and was told this control module is part of the hydro electric steering pump.. can anyone confirm if this is correct? I am worried about buying the wrong part!
Any more info on what to look for would be appreciated!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: power steering module

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes it is mounted on the power steering pump assembly, by the way, is your battery okay, if it is not it will cause the power steering to drop out to save electrical power for more important tasks, always make sure the battery and charging system are in good condition before changing the steering pump.
samwoolf
New

Post by samwoolf »

Thanks for response. I think the battery is OK - although it was completely flat a few months ago when I took over the car from my mum who is no longer able to drive it and had left it for a couple of months undriven. I took the battery out and charged it and it has seemed to be fine ever since.

The garage said they ran a diagnostic test that showed a fault with the steering module - could this fault code also come from a bad battery? Or is it safe to assume the pump/module needs replacing? Any other checks I can do?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd be very surprised if a battery that had been left to fully discharge has been recovered to being okay, one thing to check, after you have driven maybe 20 miles, stop the car, switch on the ignition and restart the car, if that 20 miles of running at moderate engine speeds has stuffed enough charge back into the battery then when you restart the steering should be okay for while.

Edit:- it is a bit tricky fault diagnosing at distance, if you trust your garage you might have to go along with their findings, you can get these pump assemblies repaired by places like BBA-REMAN http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/index.aspx .

They would be repairing your pump so no recoding costs when it returns repaired.
samwoolf
New

Post by samwoolf »

Thanks - thats very useful. Would you advise sending off old pump to be repaired then over buying a second hand replacement pump off ebay? (have seen a few on there so that was my current plan)

How complicated would it be for me to remove/replace the faulty pump myself?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

From what I've read and seen, there is not much involved with replacing a hydraulic steering pump, just unbolt and unplug and reverse to refit, buying some of the correct fluid of course and initially winding the steering wheel fully from side to side a few times, topped up fluid as necessary then do the same with the engine running to complete getting the air out of the system.

You would need to know the cost to refurbish your one from BBA but maybe that is a fixed price on their website, and as I said you simply refit it without needing to recode it to your car.

Edit:- as for a used pump, it would have come off a wreck, so if it was front damage that pump assembly might just have issues, just something to consider.