Polo 9N water ingress spare tyre we'll and back seats

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Tomjones1995
New
Drives: Polo 9n GT TDI

Polo 9N water ingress spare tyre we'll and back seats

Post by Tomjones1995 »

Hi Guys, just joined the forum. I have a polo 9n that has water in the spare tyre well and more recently, absorbing into the rear back bench. I suspect the rear light gasket is the suspect for the tyre well but I fail to see how the water from that source would reach the back bench. Has anybody had this problem with their Polo's?

Many thanks,
Tom Jones
CaptainRedex
New
Drives: 1.2 2002 9n

Re: Polo 9N water ingress spare tyre we'll and back seats

Post by CaptainRedex »

Someone in a Facebook post asked about this, this was the solution, "So I have this problem ! But it's because I have fitted 9n3 light to my 9n.. the water falls down the back of the lights and down on got the boot .. the lights also fill with water I used clear silicone and its worked perfect ! How ever If or when a bulb gos I will have to remove the silicone to get in to the lights"

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Tomjones1995
New

Post by Tomjones1995 »

Thanks for the info. I have today just bought a new gasket set from VW for £12.80. Do you think that the water would travel all the way to the rear bench though? Could that leak be the rear doors?
CaptainRedex
New

Post by CaptainRedex »

Unsure but the guy said his problem was because he had 6n lights fitted, I'm the wrong person to ask, was just posting that as it may be some help to you! I'm sure someone on here knows me than me! Aha!

Tomjones1995
New

Post by Tomjones1995 »

Oh right okay, thanks anyway for the info :)
CaptainRedex
New

Post by CaptainRedex »

I've not got the same problem after a heavy shower last night, mine must be comming in through the the passenger side rear light as I've got a well of water built up, but the water did nearly reach the rear seat, so you might have the same issue, I've heard replacing the cluster gaskets is the solution, I'll let you know if it fixes it after I do so, good luck!

Tomjones1995
New

Post by Tomjones1995 »

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you have developed the problem too. I to have heard replacing the cluster gaskets is the solution for the spare tyre well but I'm not convinced for the back bench. If you could let me know how you get on I would appreciate it! Thanks :)
foolhandy
New
Drives: 9N

Post by foolhandy »

Old thread but yes, knackered seals on the rear lights will soak the back seats and fill the spare tyre well. Replaced my rear light (it was the clip rather than that seal at fault) and water ingress problem stopped immediately.
Zeno
New
Drives: 2004 Polo Twist 1.2 12v manual 73k

Post by Zeno »

Totally agree had the same issue. Used ARBO seal strip on the body to push against the cluster seal, its about 4mm thick and helps increase the pressure on the light cluster seal.
No more water in the boot.
The cluster fixing design using a catch on one side and threaded on the other is cheep, but just does not work.
ToolDI
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 TDI Highline (2004 9N)

Post by ToolDI »

Exactly what I had 2 years ago. Whenever it rained my spare wheel would get water until it reached the middle of the spare tyre. The water entered through the rear left tail light . I used EPDM seal strip with adesive, 5mm thickness. I glued it all around the tail light hole in the car structure. Never had any more problems.