Squeaky suspension when driving over speed bumps

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
CaptainRedex
New
Drives: 1.2 2002 9n

Squeaky suspension when driving over speed bumps

Post by CaptainRedex »

Hi guys, when I drive over speed bumps my suspension makes an unusual squeaky/rubbing sound, this has only started the past few days and I think is only on the passenger side! Anyone know what could cause this? Thanks

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

BrgCooper_S
New
Drives: R53

Re: Squeaky suspension when driving over speed bumps

Post by BrgCooper_S »

Mine also does this, I wouldn’t worry about it too much it will most likely be the old bushings squeaking away when put under heavier load than normal driving. My Mini makes some awful suspension clunking sounds and has done for the last 10k, not broken yet [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Or the lower arm rear voided bushes are getting torn too much and need replacing, with the car parked, engine off, handbrake on, out of gear and steering straight ahead, grab each front wheel in turn and try to rotate it forwards/backwards, if it is the bushes I mentioned, you should be able to see that you can move the wheel within the wheel arch - ie forward backward within the wheel arch relative to its natural position, and also get some rubbery noises.
nato2kuk
New
Drives: 1.2 9n 52 plate

Post by nato2kuk »

I had this problem....... shortly after this noise started i found that my spring snapped on the suspension. got it replaced then luck would have it.... noise was back.... followed by the other front spring going! lol
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

nato2kuk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:32 pm I had this problem....... shortly after this noise started i found that my spring snapped on the suspension. got it replaced then luck would have it.... noise was back.... followed by the other front spring going! lol
I had this problem a while ago too on the o/s. There is a strut mount bearing at the top of the spring that allows the whole assembly to turn when you steer. It was creaking then the spring broke. Replaced the bearing and spring.

The n/s occasionally makes similar noises, moreso in the colder weather.