Diagnosis on my ruined timing belt? 1.4 16v

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
BrgCooper_S
New
Drives: R53

Diagnosis on my ruined timing belt? 1.4 16v

Post by BrgCooper_S »

Hello everyone, apologies for my first post being me asking for stuff firstly, however wondering if anyone can help me.

I have a 1.4 16v auto 2003 polo as my daily and when pulling out of work today I heard a clunking noise and then it just died on me.
Tried to start it and it was asif I’d taken all the spark plugs out, wasn’t even attempting to fire.

After £100 on a recovery truck I pulled the timing belt cover off and cranked it again. The inlet cam was turning, however all the teeth had sheared on that part of the belt, meaning the exhaust valve cam wasn’t turning atall.

So my question is, is the Polo FUBAR, with pieces of valve wedged in the pistons, or is it a safe engine where the valves don’t reach the pistons in a situation like this?

Many thanks in advance for any comments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Diagnosis on my ruined timing belt? 1.4 16v

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that your engine will now be badly damaged, a pity that you did not replace the cambelts etc at the advised period. These are interference engines.
Opening that engine up would see if that was true, but cost money.
BrgCooper_S
New
Drives: R53

Post by BrgCooper_S »

RUM4MO wrote:I think that your engine will now be badly damaged, a pity that you did not replace the cambelts etc at the advised period. These are interference engines.
Opening that engine up would see if that was true, but cost money.
I haven’t had it that long and it was on 59k miles when I started driving it, so had no idea about the belt. Yeah I thought that might be the case though, I’ll try and get a look down the plug holes, anyone shoved a VR6 in one of these?? Hahah.

Thank you for your response by the way
Aybesea
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 9Ns 1.2 AZQ 2003 Reflex Silver

Post by Aybesea »

I had a 1.4 2000 Polo and that cambelt went in N Devon as i pulled up at some Traffic lights Car stalled but would not start,I got a new belt from local car shop and fitted it ,the old belt had lost it's teeth under the crankshaft pully.I replaced it and then turned the crank manually 360' .No noises or anything so started it up and carried on was fine.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Any damage/lack of damage will vary with the different engine codes/types,some engine codes will be 'clearance engines' others will not be.