9n bby auto . (Looking to increase performance and acceleration)

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
DaveSmith
New

9n bby auto . (Looking to increase performance and acceleration)

Post by DaveSmith »

Hi all . So I'm new to this forum but asked over at club polo where I'm a member and no one responded at all. I have the bby 9n 1.4 16v Auto. While it's a nice motor she's always lacking in pull and power. (Occasionally seems to get stuck between changing gear too) I would like to know what can be done with this car in terms of getting better acceleration and more power. Everything is stock. I've rebuilt most of it as it is as it was knackard all around . I can't find anything other than doing an engine swap . While I'm not opposed to the idea I don't want to sink that kind of money into it and time when it's my daily driver . Any suggestions would be great. ( and so you know I've been limited to automatics on my license due to health issues otherwise I'd be in a much better manual vw) cheers

Dave
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 9n bby auto . (Looking to increase performance and acceleration)

Post by RUM4MO »

That will be because there are no known improvements available for this engine.

Have you tried running it on Shell UL+ types of fuels, I have found that that does improve low end drivability on the 5 speed manual version.

Keep saving your cash for your next better car might be the best plan.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Agree with the above comment. It's a reliable slug for commuting. Not worth the time and effort to try and increase performance.
DaveSmith
New

Post by DaveSmith »

Cheers guys . I guess I'm stuck with it as it is then. It just seems to have no pull . Pull out from a junction and it's like It has to think about it before doing anything in the way of responding . And then sometimes it's stuck between changing gears then changes through 2 very quickly but there's no power. It doesn't feel like it's slipping just lacks nuts to go anywhere. I got left at a set of lights yesterday by a bloody Matiz. That's like 800 or 900cc and it pulled off and left me behind :( . I'd considered seeing if a throttle body of another audi/vw could be adapted to get that increase but as you guys are saying that there is nothing for it I guess I'm going to have to live with it until I buy something new. I'm doing a gearbox service next week might help me out or make things worse lol

Cheers anyway

Dave
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

When we first got our 1.4 16v (AUB) Polo (manual) it was really sluggish,but gradually has improved over the last 4 years by doing various little jobs on the beast.
Ours is the 100HP version but when I also looked at the power curve (graph) for this engine I realised that one has to rev it to get max power,so perhaps not the best road engine LOL.
I always use super UL fuel,normally Tesco 99 but occasionally BP/Shell/Esso and recently modified the air intake to have permanent cold air (the wax stat was not operating so was stuck on winter[hot] air) which makes the engine slightly stronger again and reduces 'Pinking' especially in warm weather.