Lights

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
12-valve
New

Lights

Post by 12-valve »

Has anybody else noticed how the yellowy tinge of the sidelights are mismatched with the white light of the main headlights? Seeing as the sidelights are in a separate light cluster this difference really stands out, and looks pretty naff, actually.
So I've decided to try and source some white bulbs. Has anybody else tried this?
Went into Halfords and found some PIAA Super LED wedge bulbs which seem to be a solution.
Not fitted 'em yet - too flippin' cold outside. Will let you lot know how they look very soon.
dxg

Post by dxg »

<cough> angel eyes conversion on the side light glass?? </cough> but I thought it was all the one one unit, just with bumper plastic between the "separate" lens on the front??

I know what you mean about the yellow, though.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I can really notice it on my GTi, as I have Xenon's...

The Sidelights and Full Beam bulbs look so yellow compared to the white/blue light of the xenons...

I am going to get some Philips Vision Plus Full Beam bulbs, but I'm undecided about the sidelights... I fancy white LED's... Maybe bought, maybe home-made using Foxy's unbelievably bright white LED's...

But then again, Powerbulbs give you some Philips White/Blue Sidelight bulbs free when you buy the main beam ones.

I'm also very concerned about reliability, as I have to drop the bumper and remove the light assy to be able to replace the bulbs!

Let me know what those LED's are like!
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

I was thinking the same thing the other day upgrade to LED sidelights but wasn't sure which ones to go for.

Be interesting to see how you get on with these, I hope they are easier to change on the Polo than what they were on my mkiv Golf. By the way how much are these LED replacements?
tdisport
Getting There!

Lights

Post by tdisport »

Hi,

Just joined 2day. Really good forum. been loking for one for new polo 4 while now.

I wasn't happy with main beam after driving new clio hire car so changed main beam for xenon 30% bulbs. made a slight improvement bu t was one hell of a tricky job and i cut my hands to bits!!

Would consider putting philips vision plus bulbs in instead (my dads got them in his scooby) and also putting LEDs sidelights to get rid of yellow light.

Has anyone managed to change dipped lights? I wanted to but couldn't see any way of getting bulbs out without taking headlights out - which means taking front bumber off does it??

thanks,

Russ
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Hello tdisport :)
Me old mans got a scooby and Ive got a new polo, strange eh?

Anyway, Im thinking of getting some H7 (I think) HID capsules and using my dads HID kit that he isnt actually using in his scooby anymore. Should be good, but will add to the mis-matched light probs 12-v is talkin about ;)
12-valve
New

Post by 12-valve »

Okay, am I being a right idiot? I tried to fit my new white sidelight LED wedge bulbs to let you lot know how great they look but.... er, gave up.
How on earth are you supposed to get your hands through that tiny weeny little opening at the back of the sidelight section of the headlights? Maybe a toddler could do it but I haven't got one of those to hand. You can't even peer through the opening to see how the bulb could be removed because the engine's in the way; and before you ask, no, I haven't got a particularly big head.
I'm not going to give up, but if anybody's got some ideas, please buzz a reply back :?
tdisport
Getting There!

Main Beam

Post by tdisport »

Can't remember properly, but think that the sidelight is under main beam. What about taking that out. I have successfully managed to change main beam (with a lot of swearing and cutting hands to bits). Sidelight must be the same. I remeber it being really tricky. Will look 2nite under my bonnet.

Talking about lights, are you going to try and change dipped lights. I want those philips blue vision blubs, or even the PIAA super plasma bulbs. They seem really good. Will find a pic.

tdisport.
tdisport
Getting There!

just looked

Post by tdisport »

Just been outide in the rain/cold to see.

The sidelight is above the main beam so should be easier.
The LH side is worse as there a big black box in the way.
Drivers side isn't so bad. Just got to be careful.

Good luck!!
Post some pics when your done!
tdisport
Getting There!

Finally founds some pics

Post by tdisport »

here are some examples:

this is philips blue vision:

this is the blub i want piaa:

this is view of headlights:

piaa:

blue vision:

normal:

mole
Admin

Post by mole »

PIAAs look good, how much are they?

I could just get some HID capsules for about £80 you see :)
(Got all the ohter gear)

Anyone know what fitment the dipped beam bulb is? H7?
tdisport
Getting There!

Looks at demon tweeks

Post by tdisport »

I think demon tweeks sell the PIAAs.

And yes, the dipped lights are H7's. The main beam is H1.
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Ok thanks, going to get a price on the HIDs, thats the route to take I think.
Considering I'm going to Sweden in Feb and most of the drivin will be done at nite.