2005 Polo inner wheel arch? (and screws?)

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
adentonmiller
New
Drives: 2005 MK4

2005 Polo inner wheel arch? (and screws?)

Post by adentonmiller »

I posted earlier on removing the windscreen washer bottle and ended up removing the bumper to get to it.

With the bumper off, I can see that the inner wheel arch on the right hand side is cracked and could do with being replaced. It looks like I can pick one of these up for not very much money at all, so I may as well fix this while the bumper is off.

Does anything other than the wheel need to be removed to replace the inner wheel arch? Can anyone who has done this give me some advice please?

Secondly, some of the little Torx screws that hold the bumper to the inner wing arch were missing - does anybody know the correct part number or dimensions for these? They are a T25 head, but I don't know anything else about the thread type....
adentonmiller
New

Re: 2005 Polo inner wheel arch? (and screws?)

Post by adentonmiller »

So, the inner wheel arch panel is now out. Pretty easy. New one ordered.

And I think I found the correct panel screws on eBay for cheap! Torx self tapping panel screws, 15mm diameter head, 16mm shaft, 4.8mm diameter.

All is good!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

These screws are screwed into plastic retainers which snap into the car's metalwork, you might find that some of these plastic retainers are split, VAGBOLTS seems to be one of the online suppliers of these sorts of screws, I have just bought 10 of the slightly larger size which newer cars seem to use there and other places.
I'll try to find the p/n of the retainers and post them here for you.

Retainers/expanding nuts N908 338 01 which get used with screws N907 750 01 and some other numbers.
adentonmiller
New

Post by adentonmiller »

Excellent - thanks for that! I have ordered some from eBay to be on the safe side.

The screws I ordered already come with the metal speed nuts needed for some of the inner wheel arch fixings, but now I can replace the plastic retainers as well while I am in there. I did notice plastic debris on some of the screws earlier, so I am certain that it was from those.

As my old man used to say - "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well."
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

It's easy to see the fluid level in the power steering reservoir while you have the bumper off too.
adentonmiller
New

Post by adentonmiller »

littlepolo wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:48 am It's easy to see the fluid level in the power steering reservoir while you have the bumper off too.
Good point! The steering was working fine, but I just went and had a look and the level is indeed just below the min mark.

Power steering fluid added to list of things to buy!

Thanks for the heads up!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Just to be safe make sure that you buy the correct spec of power steering fluid, it should be green and to whatever spec is needed for VW Group cars and maybe even written on the reservoir tank cap.
My experience of these plastic clips breaking/hardening comes from working on a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion when it was maybe 8 years old, back then the material was wrong and so was bio degrading which was made worse by the fact that the exposed inner section of the threads of these screws can corrode and so grow - and dragging them out through these retainers is not good for them, so they can split. I think that Polo's retainers will be better material and the replacements certainly will be.

Edit:- your plan should be to buy as small a container of steering fluid as possible and that system will need very very little to bring it back up to the HOT MAX, the lower marker, I think, was for COLD MAX and not MIN. If it touches or wets the button on the base of the cap then in my world that is good!
adentonmiller
New

Post by adentonmiller »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:02 am Just to be safe make sure that you buy the correct spec of power steering fluid, it should be green and to whatever spec is needed for VW Group cars and maybe even written on the reservoir tank cap.
My experience of these plastic clips breaking/hardening comes from working on a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion when it was maybe 8 years old, back then the material was wrong and so was bio degrading which was made worse by the fact that the exposed inner section of the threads of these screws can corrode and so grow - and dragging them out through these retainers is not good for them, so they can split. I think that Polo's retainers will be better material and the replacements certainly will be.

Edit:- your plan should be to buy as small a container of steering fluid as possible and that system will need very very little to bring it back up to the HOT MAX, the lower marker, I think, was for COLD MAX and not MIN. If it touches or wets the button on the base of the cap then in my world that is good!