Aircon leak

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Andrew S
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 2004

Aircon leak

Post by Andrew S »

Lost air con and took it to Formula 1 auto and they put an 8 bar test on it for 40mins and it dropped to 7 bar pressure. They couldn't find the leak using some kind of torch or dye?

Any suggestions as to where to look with most common points / areas?

Weather now warmer so a hot cockpit when driving :(

Much appreciated
Andrew
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Aircon leak

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but now you have discovered that the best plan is to go to a proper auto AC place, or get a mobile auto AC person to come to you, these mobile people only stay in business by getting things sorted out quickly - and also tend too know their stuff - where you went to will be good enough for a "top up" and not much else.

Typically it will be the condenser as that sits out front and gets stones thrown at it, other point can be the pressure sensor, if it looks a bit oily round about then just replace it - there is a self sealing valve below it so you can replace it even when there is a gas charge still in it, but if it is this that is leaking, then do buy a latest version from VW Group dealer or elsewhere as VW Group have needed to upgrade the design or production method a few times as they end up failing because they start leaking.

This pressure sensor is located on the alloy pipe on the RHS of the car in front of the coolant reservoir.
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Thank you, this is very helpful
Much appreciated
Andrew
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Re: Aircon leak 9n

Post by Andrew S »

Went to the aircon guy and commented, they knew their stuff and put dye in the system and re gassed and all has been working for the last 3 months and now stopped again.

On this basis, I presume I can eliminate the compressor pump as this would not have got it all up and working last time. Likewise the switch inside the car as this lights up normally.

Going back tomorrow morning and hoping the dye will show up and issue

My questions are, can you get a leak inside the car that they cant find or is it all in the engine bay and secondly, any thoughts of what it could be being that it was all working again until recently? Oh and, if its the condenser, does all the front bumper etc got to come off?

Any help greatly appreciated

Andrew
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Its the condenser with a lea`k between the water rad and the front of the condenser :(

Presume its bumper off etc :0

Not looking forward to it
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm not sure as I have not got one of them now, but taking the front bumper off should not alarm you too much, I took it off my wife's 2002 Polo to sort out a headlamp issue, it just needs a second person to help support the bumper cover when you are removing and fitting it, my wife helped me out with that. I've had the front bumper off my 2011 Audi S4 to retro fit front parking sensors, and intend to take it off again and put the front end into service position so that I can replace the super charger and auxiliary belts.
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll muster up a second person
Cheers
Andrew
Zeno
New
Drives: 2004 Polo Twist 1.2 12v manual 73k

Post by Zeno »

In response to your question " Can you get a leak inside the car that they can't find or is it all in the engine bay......."

Yes the leak can be inside the car in the evaporator matrix or its connections, this is in the heater/cooler unit under the dashboard. Not sure how easy you could see traces of the dye as I believe the evaporator matrix is hidden behind the heater matrix.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Zeno wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:14 pm In response to your question " Can you get a leak inside the car that they can't find or is it all in the engine bay......."

Yes the leak can be inside the car in the evaporator matrix or its connections, this is in the heater/cooler unit under the dashboard. Not sure how easy you could see traces of the dye as I believe the evaporator matrix is hidden behind the heater matrix.
A fridge gas pumped "sniffer" should be able to detect if there is/was a leak into the cabin air system by sniffing at the vents.
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Cheers 👍
Dazzag
New
Drives: Bluemotoon

Post by Dazzag »

Can anyone help had my air con checked no leaks in engine but leak in cabin any ideas best place to start of any common faults vw polo 2014