Front ABS sensor problem

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
rob090881
New
Drives: 9n 1.2

Front ABS sensor problem

Post by rob090881 »

My ABS light has been on a while, and now I've got around to fixing it, I'm quite sure it's the cable not the sensor (even though I bought a new one!!)
A previous owner has fixed it reasonably well in the past, but it needs doing again. The wore has had a section cut out of it, and jointed within an inch of the sensor, and then up in the arch (I'm guessing for protection) there is 2 wires going into the plug, but there is also an extra 2 up in the arch which are jointed together. The connection by the sensor looks like the wore has been damaged/stressed, and broken through a bit. I can reset the light, but as soon as I get over something like 5-10mph, the light comes back on.
I am currently trying to source a plug locally, so I can fix it.
But am I missing something obvious???? Image

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Front ABS sensor problem

Post by RUM4MO »

As they say, there are many ways to skin a cat - but, what I've done in the past is to read off the VW part number from that connector and buy a new on in from VW dealer, it will need ordering in. Then crush that connector slowly in a vice so that the body cracks and you can remove the 2 pins and remains of the wires, then get some suitable wire and replace the 2 wires back to beyond the next repair, then rewrap the 2 new wires using the correct cable wrapping tape and push the pins back into the correct places in the new connector.

You could of course attempt to extract both these pins and stubs of wire and repair it that way, it is possible using the correct tools or suitable pins/needles etc.

The other way is to suddenly own all the necessary tools and spare contacts and repair using new wires, new contacts then wrap the new length of cable with the proper cable protective tape.

I'm sure someone will add in or dismiss some of my suggestions - buying the right tools to crimp these "timer" contacts and the support clamps costs a lot of money, been there done that when modifying a cable set for front parking sensors!
rob090881
New
Drives: 9n 1.2

Re: Front ABS sensor problem

Post by rob090881 »

Thanks for that. I'm currently trying to find out if someone local is breaking a lupo of the same age, so I might be able to pinch plug and as much cable as possible. I'm just hoping this fixes it!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk