Power steering light

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Max_Evans
New
Drives: 2005 1.4 TDI

Power steering light

Post by Max_Evans »

The power steering in my 55 plate 1.4 tdi has gone and the power steering light has come on solid orange. There's no fluid leak on the driveway so I don't think that the power steering has leaked and the main PS fuse on the battery box is still intact. I've checked the PS control unit fuse (F7) on fuse holder B and it has blown, I changed this fuse and as soon as I turned the ignition it blew again. None of the other fuses have blown so it doesn't seem to be chain reaction thing. Has anyone else experienced this or knows what could be the route of the problem as I am hesitant to take it in to a garage just for them to spend hours trying to track the problem down?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Power steering light

Post by RUM4MO »

Trouble is, it could be something nasty happened in the pump/controller, why not, as a first crack at identifying where the fault is roughly, unplug some of the connectors on the pump/controller, I've forgotten how many connectors there will be, but there will be a lead from the sensor on the steering column at least - maybe it by itself might have got damaged enough, or its cable, to blow this fuse.
Max_Evans
New

Post by Max_Evans »

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pull the battery out to get to the PS fluid tank at the weekend and check the fluid levels just to be sure and also make sure the pump is grounded at the same time. I'll have a look at the connectors in the mean time and hopefully you're right and I can start working from there.
Max_Evans
New

Post by Max_Evans »

In case you are still interested in doing some problem solving, I'm getting the DTC code 18062 which translates to "Please check DTC memory of control panel ecu". I'm assuming that without a proper diagnostic computer I am unlikely to be able to do anything with this information.