Coolant Change

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Adamsnake
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 16V

Coolant Change

Post by Adamsnake »

Hi guys, had the coolant light popup on my dash this morning and seen its below the min level.

I never have changed the coolant on a car before so take it in baby steps.

I seen a valve under the car next to the rad which will drain the coolant like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7NJgCCtyLA.

How do I do it correctly and what premix should I use and how much.

Its a 2004 VW Polo 1.4 petrol 155k miles.

Cheers.
Adamsnake
New

Re: Coolant Change

Post by Adamsnake »

Ok I think i got it.

1. Cold engine, unscrew tap on expansion bottle and unscrew valve on rad and let coolant empty out.

2. While engine off, refill expansion bottle and let it run thought the system, repeat 2/3 times to remove crap.

3. screw vavle back up on rad and fill expansion bottle up to max.

4. run engine for about 20 mins to allow for system to not have any airlocks.

5. when engine cold / cooled down made sure expansion bottle has antifreeze at min section.

does that sound right guys?.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

One thing, with that version of engine, it is considered normal to replace the cam belt every 4 years or 60K miles which ever happens first, and at every other cam belt change, also replace the water pump which adds very little to the labour bill as it is easy to get access to when the cam belt is being replaced. So, that means that the coolant should be getting replaced every 8 years and if done correctly, genuine VW Group G13 or in the past G12 coolant concentrate used which does not have a stated life time, ie leave it in until the water pump next gets replaced - or in engines with cam chains, it is in for life.
Adamsnake
New

Post by Adamsnake »

Just an update - Cam belt has not been changed yet!, will be something on the list if the car passes an MOT!.

Coolant done and very easy.

Cold engine, unscrew tap on expansion bottle and unscrew valve on rad and let coolant empty out.

2. While engine off, refill expansion bottle and let it run thought the system, repeat 2/3 times to remove crap.

3. screw vavle back up on rad and fill expansion bottle up to max.

4. run engine for about 20 mins to allow for system to not have any airlocks.

5. top up as required.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I usually buy a Gates timing belt kit with water pump etc. Good quality.